Topic

Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Trip Report: 2010 Teton Crest Expedition

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"So I have to ask…why does Ryan have the largest (heaviest?) pack?? Never thought I'd see that."

He had to carry my stuff. I'm a wuss.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Doug, that's funny!!

chuck w
    BPL Member

@kcwins

Locale: WY

I've been spending 10 days or so there every year for a while now and can still never get enough. The Cathedral Group (North and South Fork Cascade Canyon) are awesome! However, the North end of the park is seldom seen by others. Moose Basin Divide, Bitch Creek ……beautyful. Just North off Grassy Lake Rd. you will find what was formally known as the "Huckleberry Hot Springs" Great place to soak.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

It appears you averaged 8-9 mpd. I assume that was a very easy pace given the terrain and gorgeous weather you had. How do you think you would have been affected by snow at passes or on some ridges? I'm working on a similar route this summer as early as late June. I'd also assume water availability shouldn't be as much a problem June-Aug. How much water were you typically carrying?

Patrick Starich
    BPL Member

@pjstarich

Locale: N. Rocky Mountains

That's about right…we could have easily managed 12-15 miles per day…but the spectacular vistas demanded a slower pace ;)

Snow is not a problem in late summer. If present, it would certainly would slow you down a bit. Early spring (April – May) conditions may require snowshoes.

Water was hard to find in late August on the northern end of the range due to porous, permeable sedimentary rock at the surface. We descended nearly 1,000 ft at the end of the first day to find water. Many of the small creeks and ponds in that (north) part of the range are seasonal and we found them bone dry in August. We each carried 2-3 litres where water was scarce. Once you walk into the crystalline igneous core of the central part of the range, water is abundant at all elevations. It's not a bad idea to review the local geology to determine the nature of the surface rock and its capacity to trap surface water along your route.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

> It's not a bad idea to review the local geology to determine the nature of the surface rock and its capacity to trap surface water along your route.

I suspect not many of us have the geological knowledge you do. :) I know we have similar issues with the karst topography in Indiana. At what point on your route would you say that transition takes place (or is there some site that maps it)? Sounds like it may be worth staying a bit lower on the northern end (or carrying 4 liters perhaps).

Also, was there any particular reason for exiting at Phelps instead of the "normal" WY 22? Not enough off-trail perhaps?

Patrick Starich
    BPL Member

@pjstarich

Locale: N. Rocky Mountains

Unfortunately, one member of our group was unable to complete the trek and left the trip at the trailhead on Badger Creek. Diverting to this exit point on the fourth day forced us to adjust our exit point to Phelps Lake.

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools