Topic

MYOG Rain Skirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Rain Skirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Chris Roane
    BPL Member

@chrisroane

Locale: North Rockies

Last weekend I made a rain skirt.

– I am using 1.1 oz silnylon.

– I decided to go with a snap instead of velcro. I think this will be more durable than velcro (but maybe this isn't true?).

– I did a flat felled seam on all of the edges. So there are is no exposed silnylon edges.

– I use a 1/4" elastic strap that is sewed to one end. I then use a cordlock to tighten the material on the other end. I used enough material that the silnylon can lay completely flat, if I want it to.

– I think it weighs somewhere around 1-2 ounces. I should be receiving a more precise digital scale this week.

– I decided not to put a snap/velcro on the bottom of the skirt. I found that I did not need this with how long I made the skirt (this allows plenty of movement when hiking up hill in the rain).

When I tested one layer of silnylon with a snap, it quickly tore out of the material. So when I put it on the material, I did the following:

a. I used 5 or 6 layers of a silnylon square that I did a straight stitch (into a square) around where the snap is going to go. This stitch can be seen in the photos below.

b. Inside of the single stitch box, I made another box using multiple zig zag stitches. Inside of this box is where I put the hole to attach the snap.

Below are photos of the final product:

Rain skirt in full length.

Front of snap. Also viewed is the elastic cord and cordlock.

Female end of snap.

Other side of male end of snap.

I am probably going to make at least one or two more.

1. From what you can see and my description, do you think the snap will be durable in this application?

2. Do you have any advice for improvements in what I've done?

Just as an FYI: I was looking for something that was a lot lighter than rain pants, but I really only needed rain protection for the top of my legs to help keep my core warm during major rain/hail storms when backpacking (I use a rain jacket).

Jeff Brown
    BPL Member

@northshorehc

Locale: New England

Hi. Great work!

I owned my own marine canvas shop and can recognize excellent craftsmanship. Well done!

This a great idea. I was looking for something like this, but didn't think of it. A few years ago in ME I was hiking through some singletrack and the wet trees, etc were drenching my shorts.

At the time I wondered if they made some type of silnylon shorts for that purpose. Never thought of a skirt.

One thing I can suggest, if you don't use it already, is to use sticky-back, or "back-to-back" tape when preparing the hems. This can help keep the slippery silnylon in check somewhat. You can buy different adhesive strengths and widths.

To keep the snap working well, you can run just a little petroleum jelly on the inside of the top snap, where you can see the little ring inside there. This method is used on boat cover snaps, particularly on salt water boats, to help prevent corrosion.

If, over time, the 6 layer silnylon reinforcement starts to come lose you could always use a stronger material instead. Looks like it stand up, though.

Hope this helps. Congrats on the great job!

Chris Roane
    BPL Member

@chrisroane

Jeff:

Thanks for the compliments and tips! I'm still very new with sewing and MYOG.

I'm learning how to work with silnylon to where I don't need to use so many pins to line things up (through putting tension on the material). I never though of using tape though. I might have to look into that.

That is a good idea in loosening up the snap with petroleum jelly. This may help relieve the amount of force necessary to release the snap (which is what ends up putting the most stress on the fabric).

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I used adhesive backed velcro for a while

Then I sewed it

But the adhesive gummed up the needle

Nothing catostrophic or anything, but easier to not use adhesive, after you get the hang of applying tension etc.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Why make it open? Why not just a tube?

I'm thinking of making one…

Jeff Brown
    BPL Member

@northshorehc

Locale: New England

Your welcome Chris. Glad to help out.

Amazing job for someone just getting started in sewing! You've got me inspired to see what I can do for a next MYOG project.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Jack,

I've made one out of a garbage bag and left it as one piece. I just step into it instead of wrapping it around me.

I've also used my closed cell sleeping pad as a rain skirt. For that one it was a "wrap" with a nylon webbing belt to keep it in place around my waist.

Daryl

Chris Roane
    BPL Member

@chrisroane

I made it open to make it more practical. It not only is a rain skirt, but a small ground sheet, an emergency shelter, a cover for my pack, etc…

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

I'd just revived this same idea that had been floating around as an MYOG project. We're going to make two long skirts for my g/f and daughter. I think it's brilliant in contrast to rain pants. We/they want to do a wrap, which while it may be a tad heavier with extra material and hardware (we're talkin' stray ounces) it is more versatile and multi-use, as the OP pointed out.

I don't now the current lay of the land when it comes to materials access. Are there options to 1.1sil? Probably the choice material to start with. Certainly waterproof. Not even slightly breathable, but that's a +1 for the wrap design as venting.

Thanks, Chris, for your posting. I'll let you all know how our project goes.

cheers,
    -Michael

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Nice job. I wonder if you can get silnylon in a tartan plaid? :)

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Michael,
    I wonder if you can get beaver pelt. It should shed water nicely. Maybe otter? I'm sure it would complement your hides nicely. And provide some warmth for those cold wet days. And they'd be stylin' to boot. Besides diamonds, a woman's best friends are her furs.

;)

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

fur skirt… heh

The woman says mah hide smells. If she keeps on complainin', I'll sure be huntin' some beaver.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Arghhhhhhhhh! Too . . . tempting! Mustn't . . . make . . . dirty . . . jokes!

Whew. It passed for now. That was close.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools