Topic

30-35 mile loop in Shenandoah?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion 30-35 mile loop in Shenandoah?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

I'm visiting some family in Virginia and I am planning on doing a 30-35 mile trail run in Shenandoah. I'm training to run the Grand Canyon R2R2R in May. Anyone know a good loop in Shenandoah, preferably with lots of elevation change?

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Look at the area around Big Run. It is just south west of loft mountain, south of 33. You can definitely pull together a 30 milers with a bunch of elevation gain. It is also a great place to hike. You also have the AT running along the road to help pull together a loop.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Big Run at SNP:

bigrun1
    Big run area

bigrun2
    Elevation Profile

That will get you ready for R2R

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

This 35 mile hike will definitely work you hard with several of the parks most dramatic elevation drops.

http://files.meetup.com/1502009/SNP%20South%20District%2035%20Mile%20Loop.pdf

Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

Beautiful stuff guys thank you very much! If anyone else still has suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

White Oak Canyon parking up either Cedar Run or White Oak Canyon trail and up Hawksbill summit
    Go back down the same or the other trail

To lengthen you have 100+ mile of AT to head north or south and back

Also can take the Blue Ridge Parkway south from SNP and check out the Three Ridges Wilderness

Or a little further south down to VA 56 and try The Priest
    note: if you park there – you can go up The Priest (south) and go up Three Ridges (north)

Jamie Shortt
    BPL Member

@jshortt

Locale: North Carolina

The SNP has one of the best set of trip guides I have seen on any of the NPS websites. Here is a link the all the trips.

SNP_Trip_Guides

Take a look at the 3 and 4 night trips they will have several options for trips in the range of miles you are looking for.

Jamie

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools