Topic

My new MYOG Blog

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My new MYOG Blog

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice job with the gear and the blog.

Regarding the cuben rain pants, I made some as well a few months back.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/41126/index.html

An idea for you is to consider making them out of non-transparent cuben so you can wear them without your regular hiking pants underneath. With cuben being non-breathable, if you hike for an extended period of time with your cuben rain pants over top of your regular hiking pants, then the regular pants will slowly get quite damp/wet from your natural perspiration. At the end of the day, your hiking pants may be quite wet which is avoidable. If you use non-transparent cuben, you can omit wearing your hiking pants underneath without risk of getting charged with indecent exposure. This keeps you cooler when it's muggy out, and it keeps your regular pants dry for wearing later.

I made my cuben rain pants from black CT3.5K.18 which is twice the weight of your cuben, but it's opaque and far stronger and more durable. You could use a colored lighter variant of cuben, but the lighter variants of cuben are all quite transparent, so you really need to go to CT3.5K.18 to get material that isn't see-thru. The total weight of my pants is 2.5oz (71g) which is double yours, but they should last a very long time and they'll permit me to keep my regular hiking pants dry. Then again, if you really only use these very rarely then maybe it's not worth the hassle/money/weight to make a non-transparent pair.

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools