Topic

Can someone help replace zipper and retape eVent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Can someone help replace zipper and retape eVent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm pretty much inept at sewing and wouldn't want to ruin anything by trying it out. I'm looking for some help in replacing a zipper on an REI shuksan jacket with eVent. It is a #5 toothed YKK that needs to be replaced and retaped. The jacket was purchased from the REI garage sale and cannot be returned to REI.

I've contacted a couple of professional repair shops in Seattle area who want an arm and a leg to replace the zipper.

Is there anyone here who is qualified to replace and retape, ideally in the Northeast? I'd prefer to support smaller/local folks if possible, as long as they are professional!

Thanks!

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

I sent an eVent suit back to be repaired but it was expensive.

Wild Things
    (315) 768-6465
    582 Main St
    New York Mills, NY 13417

John Canfield

@jcanfield

Locale: Cascadia

Bring it back to REI, they should cover the repair under warranty.

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

John, as I said in the original post:
    "The jacket was purchased from the REI garage sale and cannot be returned to REI."

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Locale: SE, USA

Curtis, as far as I know, as long as the product has a manufacturer's warranty or is warranted by REI, even if you bought the item at their scratch and dent sale, they will replace the item. I am aware you cannot return for store credit items that were bought at one of their garage sales. A friend of mine bought a pair of Leki trekking poles, then asked the cashier to exchange the broken pole under warranty, and receive a brand new pole. Worth a try.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Curtis,

"It is a #5 toothed YKK that needs to be replaced and retaped."

Missing teeth?

Or does the slider just not do it's job? – doesn't join the two sides?

Because if it the latter, replacing a slider is cheap and easy.

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

I had hoped that I could just replace the sliders, but after ordering them from owfinc.com, I found that there is a small tang broken off the bottom of the zipper guide that prevents the zipper pull from sliding off. I'd hoped that I could put a zipper stop clamp at the end, but it is too bulky to allow the bottom pull to slide down far enough to insert the opposite zipper guide into the double pull assembly and start the zipper.

Such a simple break is going to cost $60-$80 to replace! :-(

Oh, and to the previous poster (Unfortunately with BPL's limited functionality forum I can't see your post while typing this…), I have often taken advantage of the manufacturer's warranty/ordered replacement parts for non-REI items purchased at the garage sales, but since this is an REI jacket, REI is not going to provide further warranty service–they already satisfied their warranty by replacing it the first time.

Thanks!
    Curtis

John Canfield

@jcanfield

Locale: Cascadia

whoops, didn't read your post through….

Looks like you want someone who will do it for cheap who is also a pro (and local).

Good luck!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools