Topic

Northern Sierra snowshoe day trips?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Northern Sierra snowshoe day trips?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

Can anyone recommend some good snowshoeing locations within a 1/2 day drive of the SF bay area? I've done many trips in Yosemite and would like to try some other locations. I'm looking for short day trip routes, 12 miles or less. Thanks.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

A good way to start is to survey the California Sno-Park places. Then, on a topo map, study the unplowed jeep roads that leave from those places. In some cases, there are Sno-Park places that are launching sites for snowmobiles. Sometimes you figure out where the snowmobiles are going, and then you snowshoe the other direction.

When I think of those Sno-Parks, I think of the cross country ski routes that I have covered from there.

Try Carson Pass for openers. I can think of four ski routes from there.

–B.G.–

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Take a look at this site:

http://backcountryskitours.com/

He has a long list of tours, and many of them would be doable as snowshoe hikes. Plus it will give you ideas on trailheads.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

http://backcountryskitours.com/

Marcus Libkind has been running that cross country ski web site since forever, and I think that he has personally skied about every slope in California.

–B.G.–

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools