Topic

sleeves/cozies for nalgenes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking sleeves/cozies for nalgenes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

what are folks using?

tia

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

OR

–B.G.–

Ryan Slack

@rwslack

Locale: Minnesota

Granite Gear makes (or at least used to make) two nice models: Aquatherm and Aquasack. The therm is foam insulated, the sack uses reflective bubble insulation. I bought the therm for a friend and made a homespun version of the sack (same process as a pot cozy). Both worked well; mine wasn't as warm.

I personally prefer to avoid zippers, finding GG's drawcord and insulated flap system to be much easier.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Have used reflectix in past. Also could use foam tape or closed cell foam.

Val C

@goosebumps

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

like the design of the previous Granite Gear one, looks like they've change the design to a zipped one now- dubbed the Air Cooler

the OR and 40 below both look well insulated, is having the top covered/insulated a must have if the bottle is stored upside down?

I might have to try a diy w/ some 3/16" ccf (and some gorilla tape)

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

OR also makes something almost identical to EMS's H2O cooler; these are standard for keeping water liquid here in winter hiking.
    http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3655298
    MYOG version is made with foam and duct tape.

Joe Geib
    BPL Member

@joegeib

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys

Old wool sock. I took a sock that I retired from normal wear and repurposed it as a bottle cozy. Store bottle upside-down in pocket. Old sock is multi-use (cozy, emergency extra sock, mitten, pot grabber, etc.), as long as they're dry. Worked great into the teens on many trips. Have yet to test insulating abilities in the summer.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ that's a good idea :)

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

wrap it in yr poofay … make sure it doesnt leak

Michael Cockrell

@cal-ee-for-nia

Locale: Central Valley, Lodi-Stockton, CA

I have an insulated sleeve, with toggle cord for Nalgene bottles. Works good also with other Ziplock or type container.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

eric – that's where i have been keeping them, but would like to move them out to free up some room

a simple neoprene sleeve would probably be the lightest option, not sure if it would do the trick in really cold weather though

Justin Tadych

@oshburg

Locale: Midwest

I just use one of my backup pairs of wool socks… keep the bottle upside down and in pack/sleeping bag or in pocket next to body and it works pretty good in my limited experience.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools