Topic

No Place to Sleep on the Wagon Train Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion No Place to Sleep on the Wagon Train Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Levander Thomas

@levander

I call the ranger’s office and ask about the trail, some older lady tells me a few things, and says “oh yeah, you can see where people have set up primitive camp sites along that trail.”

Unfortunately I get there only about half an hour before sunset, and I’m walking down that trail looking for the first place to sleep. With basically a wall of rock that makes a cliff on the right, and a fall down the mountain to the left, three hours later I feel lucky as hell to have found a spot on the trail itself. Foot long rocks half buried in the ground within a foot of either side of me, and my feet up on top of some lump of grass and entwined in the leaves of some thing that was some kind of a cross between a tree and a bush, I managed to fall asleep.

The Wagon Train Trail is one of the trails right there by Brasstown Bald.

Is there some rule of thumb for finding trails in Georgia that have clearings off to the side of them for setting up a place to sleep? Or do most ranger’s not bullshit you and actually know enough about a trail that you can believe what they say?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools