Topic

Advice re: tough pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Advice re: tough pants

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Chris Benson

@roguenode

Locale: Boulder

Looking for pants that will hold up hiking off-trail in areas thick with blackberry and multiflora rose. I usually wear carhartt duck work pants in this stuff. They work well for that, but are hot and heavy when I hit longer stretches of actual trail.

Any suggestions for an alternative that is lighter, cooler, and easier to pack?

k web

@kbweb

Locale: Tacoma, WA

"The toughest pair of pants on the planet are reborn and ready for wilderness action."

I haven't tried their heavier pants, but I do own their eco-mesh shirt and pants. Love em.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

Thanks, those look like contender's. Thank goodness they come in long inseams, as I am a 34".

I just ran across a recent similar thread with some suggestions. (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=40856)

I considered one of the patagonia guide pants, but long inseams are not available on their website.

I really want to try some dead-bird gamma lt's for cooler, less bush-whacking hikes and would love it if they'd also work okay for this, but think they'll be too warm and not hold up well to thorns.

I just ran across the arborwear tech pants and am very intrigued. They are lighter and cheaper than the railriders. Anyone familiar with their waist fitment? My waist is 33" and they offer 32" and 34", although both are out of stock in 34" inseam right now.

te – wa
    BPL Member

@mikeinfhaz

Locale: Phoenix

5.11 tactical may work. much tougher than RailRiders and half the cost, ime

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Pants/Tactical-Pants/Taclite-Pro-Pants.html

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Have you considered just getting a pair of durable chaps for the bushwhacking, which you can remove for the easy trail stretches?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I've heard good things about Arborwear Tech pants, they were recommended to someone a long time ago in a similar thread for trail work cutting brush in AZ. As durable as jeans but made of nylon-worn heavily by arborists.

Arbor Wear Tech Pant

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

craghoppers has some pants that might fit the bill as well

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

i have done a few thousand miles in winter weather pants and they seem to hold up just fine in the bush. durability has not been an issue. they do run a small bit warmer on hot days, but they are much nicer when it's chilly or wet. also still mosquito proof even when wet. having the extra heft of the material is a big deal for my style of trekking.
    they were on sale at 47 bucks last week. the new version has very slightly thinner material, but Finally includes crotch gore for improved fit.
    i did have a seam failure last year hopp'n ice flows .. just as well, considering the alternative …
    the seam fixed just fine. no problems with fabric unraveling.
    as with many railriders products, stuff will fall out of the front pockets if you lay down on your back and bend your knees. they do have a zippered rear pocket.
    two thickness butt panel and knees make bush/camp life nicer.
    sometimes the belt rolls.
    it seems the craghoppers ones have a rep on the net for falling apart.
    railrider's are nylon, and of course will hole instantly if hit with a flying ember.
    it seems harder to hitch-hike wearing black ones.
    if you want to putter about off-trail, they are a good way to go.

that's all i know.

cheers,

v.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

gamma lt's would shred, easier than the others. i would look at railriders versa tac pants.

Chris Benson

@roguenode

“Have you considered just getting a pair of durable chaps for the bushwhacking, which you can remove for the easy trail stretches?”

I have not. That’s an intriguing idea. I do wear safety chaps when using a chain saw doing invasive species removal, but they’re not any lighter than pants or very packable. Maybe some sort of chaps or leggings that are significantly lighter and less expensive than a pant alternative would work. However, I wear running shorts quite a bit on short trips and tend to trail run when on more open trail. Not sure how chaps would stay put when no belt is used. If I get pants, I’d pack the pant and have the short underneath to run in.

“5.11 tactical may work. much tougher than RailRiders and half the cost, ime”

I run across the 5.11 references quite a bit. The site reviews are good, as is the price,

“I've heard good things about Arborwear Tech pants, they were recommended to someone a long time ago in a similar thread for trail work cutting brush in AZ. As durable as jeans but made of nylon-worn heavily by arborists.”

I found where I had heard of them before. They were a staff best of 2010 pick by Sam Haraldson. One phrase from his description stands out, “extreme-uber-crazy-durability”. Very curious about these.

“craghoppers has some pants that might fit the bill as well”

Both Craghoppers and Railriders have good options. The 5.11’s look like the bargain of the bunch. I think I’ll order these, check the quality and see how they fit. Their return policy looks pretty good. I emailed Arborwear about fit and stock and would like to give them as try as well.

Thanks to all, I appreciate all of the suggestions. I now alsohave some good alternatives if either of these don’t work out.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Definitely the .511 brand tactical nylon pants. Double seat & knees. double knees have a side opening inside for .511's 1/8" thick neoprene pads which are great for rock scrambling protection.

Plus, as mentioned, tehy ar only $50. much less than RailRider's equivalent pants. I have two pair and after 4 years of a lot of trail use they are still in great shape.

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

+1zillion

I bought a pair of Arborwear Tech pants form a mom n' pop at Joshua Tree 3 years ago… and they'll take me through South America for a year. I use them for ALL my farm and building work. And they've toughed out that sharp granite at JT with no sign of giving up. In fact, I'm buying a second pair for this coming trip. They're gusseted, have functional pockets and are freakin' tough. It's syncthetic so they dry well and fast. The material is extremely durable and windresistant (I did say freakin' tough). Synthetic fibers don't breathe as well, but I went from a hiking shorts zealot to these pants as my goto on all trips. They roll up well to the knee comfortably for better ventilation.

Get 'em

seriously

awesome

hehehe

cheers,
    -Michael
    oh yea, they fit true to size. I'm consistently a 32×32, they're a 32×32.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools