Topic

Mora #2/0 Knife 1.8oz/50g

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Mora #2/0 Knife 1.8oz/50g

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The tang on the wooden handled Mora's tapers down in a couple steps and does reach the end of the handle. In a strict sense, I would define "full tang" as the blade steel extending all the way to the end of the handle, with close to the same thickness and width as the blade. The handles on a full tang knife are typically slabs of material (scales) that is riveted or screwed in place. Some modern variation have the handle material molded on.

I see batoning as a marginal technique when using a knife, and particularly with a small blade. It is fine if done with care and discretion, but you could find yourself without a cutting tool when you break your blade– a bad thing if you are in a situation where you need it to survive. I would baton wood with a diameter that is about the same as the depth of the blade, leaving plenty of blade length for striking.

My hunch is that most breakage occurs from prying and twisting movements in an attempt to complete splitting a stick. Making small kindling and getting to dry inner wood for fire-starting is good, but I would stay away from the heavier stuff, leaving that to a light folding saw, which is faster, safer, lighter, and less expensive than a large knife.

You can baton chips out of a larger log, making beaver-like notches in the wood. Again, the breakage occurs when you try to pry a big chip out. I think it is better to start a notch and break the stick off. If you can get a split started, you can use a rock or another stick as wedges to complete the split in larger stuff.

David Ure

@familyguy

It might be difficult to break the blade tip of the F1 even prying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hICHvMvkRIA&feature=fvst

YouTube video

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I've owned an F1 and it is an excellent knife, but it is much heavier and more expensive than the Mora 2/0— hardly an apples and apples comparison. The 2/0 Mora is about one step up from a paring knife and good for food prep and general cutting chores, repairs, whittling and the like. Keep in mind that it is 2oz and about 8" long with the sheath. The blade is the size of my forefinger! I think it is an UL classic.

David Ure

@familyguy

I'm not really comparing them – just adding to the tang discussion.

3oz won't break my back, by the way, for a more robust knife. Darn, I just compared them.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I think you guys should be more worried about damaging the edge than a complete failure. Scandi's are known to have fragile edges compared to a full flat with a secondary edge or a convex. Might want to convex the edge really good, making it a sort of scandivex.

I took off the belt loop on my knife, ran some old inner tube strands around the handle and pinch some cord under the inner tube strands. Makes it more comfortable as a neck knife, and I can also use the innertubes as tinder.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools