Topic

MYOG Pot Lid

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Pot Lid

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Joey Dawson

@inabag

Locale: Northern VA

I have the following pot….
    http://www.evernewamerica.com/ECA265.htm

I love the size and dimensions, and it fits great on my stove. I have no use for the skillet/lid. I would prefer a flat lid with a single small handle. I only boil water in my pot.

Can anyone suggest ways to create a lid for the top? Preferably inexpensive materials readily available. I was thinking a small aluminum pizza pan type pan if I could find one in the right dimensions. Unsure how I would cut down to size.

Any ideas appreciated.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Joey,

I have the same pot.

Just thinking out loud, the pot has an outwardly flared lip at the top. If you use the aluminum pizza pan as your lid material, measure the inside diameter of the outwardly flared upper edge of your pot. Draw a circle on the pizza pan with the same diameter as the one you measured. Cut it out with some aviation snips or tin snips "leaving the line". Use a file to clean up the rough edges and work it down to the finished size. Use your drawn circle as a guide. You're trying to get it small enough to drop into the flared upper lip of the pot but not so small as to fall into the bottom of the pot.

You can find small wooden knobs in the hardware store. You can attach the knob in the center with one stainless self tapping screw of the appropriate size.

Be careful that the materials that you use that will come in contact with your food are "food grade". Not all metals are made for cooking.

Follow this link to Jason Klass's website to see a picture of what I am describing. You may have to scroll down just a little bit.

Party On,

Newton

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Buy a pie or cake or whatever that comes in a thin aluminum pan, eat the pie/cake, wash pan (or you could just buy a pan without anything in it).

Pinch out some to make the handle, form the rest into a circle (it'll be all wrinkled)

Top view:

Side view:

side

Put it on top of your pot and bend it over the sides of your pot, cut off the excess

By the lid going over the top, if fir needles or whatever fall from above, they won't end up inside your pot

Joey Dawson

@inabag

Newton – thanks that is exactly what I was envisioning. I will find a small aluminum pan of some sort and see what I can work out. Will update later.

Joey Dawson

@inabag

I was wandering around Wally World looking for cheap pizza pans or aluminum pans of some sort to cut into to make a lid for my pot. I found something cheaper/lighter to try out. Hefty Foil Casserole Pans. They were $2 for 2 pans, about 9" x 3". I cut them to size using my actual pot lid for reference. I then used some duct taping to strengthen the hole I punched, and I put some triptease through as an easy pull. It is not very rigid, but I was able to shape it into a perfect fit. If I turn the pot upside down the lid does not come off, but pulls off easily with the loop of triptease. Not sure on weight, but its liiiight. Will report on actual usage after my trip this weekend. Was thinking could maybe make more rigid by combining a couple pans together. Pics below.

lid1

lid2

lid3

lid4

lid5

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

I posted a sequence of photos on OutdoorsMagic on making a mug lid from a can sidewall.

They're in my gallery.

The sequence is missing one detail step, which is the difficult bit of folding the edge over neatly, and trimming it. Hopefully, you'll get the idea of what I did. It's an 'external lid', but I'm sure the method could be used for an internal lid that rests on a stepped lip.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools