Topic

Tarp setup pics

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Tarp setup pics

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jason Malone
    Spectator

@redwood22

Locale: Santa Cruz/Scott's Valley CA

Hey guys,

I just ran across this site and thought some of you might like to see the creativity and craftsmanship in setting up these tarps. Enjoy!

http://newlongmarch2.com/DisplayNews.asp?TextID=276&page=

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I wish companies would use pics like these. Getting to see the Ewing and Trekker wing in use, with stuff near it to get perspective… In high quality pics!

I bet if there were a portfolio for each tarp for GoG or whoever. I guess Joe does pretty good.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Great pics – great variety of tarp pitches

The canister lantern is interesting

The eggs laid on the guyline are interesting

They sure have heavy guylines

Jason Malone
    Spectator

@redwood22

Yeah – I don't think the cars are too far away in a lot of these pics. The carton of eggs makes me think that : )

I really like how they use a quarter to tie off a guy line. I wonder how abrasive that would be on 30d silnylon.

Erik Danielsen
    BPL Member

@er1kksen

Locale: The Western Door

Is ultralight car camping the next hot trend? ;)

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

I did a 3-week "ultralight" car camping trip when I first got my lightweight gear! Had two late May graduations back east to attend, so I drove back and spent a leisurely 2 weeks car-camping my way from Michigan's UP back to Oregon. It was an excellent "shake-down cruise" for the new gear, and a month earlier than the trails were open in the high Cascades!

Jeff Brown
    BPL Member

@northshorehc

Locale: New England

Thanks Jason. That link is awesome.

I was curious about the contents of the writing so I went to Google's Translator page,

http://translate.google.com/#zh-CN|en|

to see if I could translate the text from Chinese to English. The results were pretty funny.

This is Google's translation of the first paragraph:

Folding basket, is the "hodgepodge " like to eat. Beijing called "discount (pronounced zhe, soon) Lo" (meaning the basket off a Dier overturned), the Northeast is "Luandun. "

Art in the field of television, if we engage in the CCTV and the Central Authorities established a system for decades a large party, will call the "Golden Age grand",

which is the folk art, juggling, drama, singing and dancing , Urban Liu Su, Chinese and Western classical, assorted are folded together, so that the country's television audience in the "loved"between a love of the party to accept the ideological education of patriotism

Jason Malone
    Spectator

@redwood22

That's funny stuff. I guess it's no surprise that it translates to "the party this and the party that".

I'm a professional "ESL" professor and university and college level, so I always enjoy a terrible google translation, except when it's on one of the student's essays. Thanks for sharing!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Yes, computer translation has a long, long way to go — so plenty of time to enjoy the comedy!

However, the Chinese write up is one hodge-podge of confusion as well. The author starts with the term "folding basket" to describe tarp set up — which IMHO is odd enough — but then goes on a tangent comparing it to hodge podge eating, China Central TV's music and dance shows, ….., love for one's country and love for one's party… It's all a very awkward and long-winded way of stating the versatility of tarp setup!

Luckily, the verbiage following the two introductory paragraphs are much more to the point.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools