Topic

Some unique creations of mine

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Some unique creations of mine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    >> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

I have some interesting pieces of gear around so I thought I would start a thread for them. I will add more as they come!

A "Snakeskin" airmat. It almost looks like ripstop Cuben. Dimensions are 72x20x2" and weight is 8.3 oz!

This is the 5.5 oz 32" long torso sized airmat I have been working on. You can see the tapered width but the thickness also tapers. The pillow is 20d ripstop and 4 oz 800+ FP goose down.

Troy Childs

@tchilds

Great stuff, always admired your creations. Couple questions.

1.) What are the black lines on the "snakeskin"?

2.) Where do you get the valves for these air mats from?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal
    Benjamin Moryson
    BPL Member

@hrxxl

Locale: Germany

he bender the mat looks pretty good, but the lightweight downmat I found at suluk46 yesterday looks much better. still interested in one.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Nice work. Never thought of even trying anything that inflates.

ziff house

@mrultralite

thats really amazing stuff, what fabric is that, and what tool did you use to heat seal it?

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Amazing. Any idea what the approximate R value of that snake skin pad is?

Andrew

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> What are the black lines on the "snakeskin"?

Look like marker pen lines, drawn on to mark where the sealing was to be done…

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Amazing. Any idea what the approximate R value of that snake skin pad is?

The picture with the soda can in the back makes it look like it doesn't have any insulation. According to Richard Nisley, an uninsulated pad is R1.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

How does this fabric compare to the 30D material in terms of durability and weight?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Looks like some kite fabric I've seen somewhere before, but I might be remembering incorrectly.

Ryan

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

The black lines you see are construction lines from a Sharpy. They are actually inside but its hard to tell with this material. The R value is approximately 1. I just finished the Snakeskin mat so I have not had a chance to test it against the white 30d. I had 2yds of the Snakeskin material and that's it. It's not kite materiel ;) It may look familiar because it uses natural white ripstop nylon.

The airmat I did for Steve at Suluk46 is worlds warmer. Steve's kit is very impressive. Having SUL gear for winter is much harder to come by. His snowshoes have got to be the coolest thing I would never use!

Chris Lucas

@cheme

Locale: SC

I've been dragging my feet on ordering a 72" mummy for my wife and I. Are you going to offer this lighter material as an option? It should only take 3 ounces of 900 fp down to stuff a 72"x20"x2" pad. $30 extra in materials plus extra labor for an 11 ounce R5ish mat sounds pretty great to me.

ziff house

@mrultralite

someone please say what this fabric is. A seach for 'snakeskin' yields nothing.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

The Snakeskin was a test run and not something that can be purchased off the shelf. There are too many variables to say if this will be available in the future.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools