Topic

straightening titanium tent stakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) straightening titanium tent stakes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I used my Titanium tent stakes in hard soil – that is there were big rocks underneath

A couple of my new Titanium stakes got bent a little. 1/8th inch diameter.

What's the best way to straighten them?

I've used pliers before

If you bend metal back and forth a bunch of times it gets metal fatigued and eventually breaks. I don't want to do that.

If you heat steel and then quench it, it will harden it, does Titanium do the same thing?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You might try a heavy hand sledge.

–B.G.–

Ken Strayer

@therambler

Unless you have a forge I doubt you can get the Ti hot enough. It's melting point is significantly higher than steel.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

For a small big-radius bend, use a vice and some pliers.
    For a sharp small-radius bend you will need to take it up to red heat.

Cheers

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

You might try a metal rod or bar bender. M-C has a little one for under $10. But is doesn't have a lever to make the job easier.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rod-benders/=b1vf98

OR, try borrowing a rebar bender with a lever from anyone who builds foundations.

I've been using a little lever one that mounts in a vise to bend 3/16" Ti stakes into elbows. Alas, could not find it on the web. They generally work both to bend and straighten, but the good ones are pricey. The little one does a much neater job than visegrips and a vise.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Just bend them back into shape with your hands.. As long as there isn't a hard bend they will be fine..

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

After I bend them back with my hands, will they bend easier the next time I use them (which would be a bad thing)?

I have 1/4 inch aluminum stakes and they bent easier than the Ti stakes, so I still like the Ti stakes

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Titanium has alot of memory and bending the stakes back should not affect their performance in the future. What stakes do you have?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I got some orange BPL stakes maybe 6 months ago

So far I like them well

They only got bent when I was at a car campground and there were big rocks underneath, I should have been more careful

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I got some orange BPL stakes maybe 6 months ago
    They'll be fine, they do NOT soften. I've been using and hammering some for years.

Cheers

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Where did the bend? By any chance did they bend at top in between the duplex head where the cord hole goes through?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Picture being worth 1000 words:

stakes

I knew there was a rock down there but I just beat on the stake harder. My own fault. If I tried enough other spots I would have found a place the stake would have penetrated. It was raining. No good big rocks around.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I thought you might be talking about the nail stakes with the flattened thru hole weakness point but those hooks have a really bad design. The apex of the hook isn't over the center spine and is the reason your stakes bent. Just straighten them as good as and while your at it see if you can bend an opposing angle where the hook meets the shaft. Look at a Vargo tent stake for a reference. You could always try to bend an eye but its pretty hard with just pliers.. Either way you go it will help things out alot. Good Luck

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Yeah, I know what you mean, the Ti rod bends back the other direction slightly before curving around.

When you pound on it, if you strike from a particular angle it sort of bounces.

But, regardless, the stakes are perfectly usable.

Let's see a picture of one of your stakes as an example of how it should be.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Here, I snagged this from your website:

mfstakes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools