Topic

Simple Hammock?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Simple Hammock?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jared Yetzer

@jaryetz

Locale: Pennsylvania

Hey folks! I would like to attempt to make a simple hammock to test out and find out if its for me or not.

I made a cart at BWDD:

1.5oz ripstop, 3yds
    8ft polyester webbing
    12ft Amsteel cord

Cost: 16.35 + Shipping.

Is this all I need?

From what I can tell, I will tie off the ends of the ripstop, use the polyester webbing as a tree wrap, and connect the two with the amsteel cord.

Is this correct or am I off base?

I've been trying to gather as much info as I can on hammocking, and have been to imrisk's site, as well as Just Jeff's. Are there any other must see sites out there?

Any info appreciated! Thanks!

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

Locale: East Coast - Mid Atlantic

Jared – If you want to do a simple gathered end hammock with a whoopie/tree strap suspension you may want to up your order a bit. The polyester webbing will make 2 3ft tree straps (if you bartack 6" on each end for eyes) so you may want to add another few feet to make 5-6' straps. The 12' of amsteel is good for a 1 6' whoopie sling so you may want to order another 12 feet. For a basic gathered end that should set you up just fine

Edit: Did you check hammockforums.net ? They have the best info over there and some of the nicest people that will help you along.
    Also what is your height and weight? It may make in difference in the fabric you selected.

Jerry Wick
    BPL Member

@jerryw

Locale: Illinois

I'd also order another yard of ripstop fabric. If you use three yards your finished hammock will only be 8 – 8-1/2' long. That's really too short for 95% of hammock users. Try for a finished length of at least 10'.

Jerry

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Between Risk and Jeff you have all the info you need. Sometimes I have to re-read articles on new topics to garner details. At Hammockforums.com in the stickies for each category, the newbie info is from your two authors. Read there for hanging tips that may help you get more comfort from your new hammock.

Jared Yetzer

@jaryetz

Locale: Pennsylvania

I'm 6'1", 215lbs.

Will check out hammockforums..thanks for heads up.

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

At 6'1" and 215lbs you may want to get a few opinions on this, but you might want to consider moving from 1.5 to 1.9 for less stretch in the fabric and like Jerry said you might also want to add an extra yard for a longer length. If you are ordering heavier fabric for the hammock remember to get the uncoated kind.

Paul Gibson

@pgibson

Locale: SW Idaho

I am with Jerry on this one, add a bit more fabric for a lot more comfort. I like to start with 12 feet/4 yards for my gathered ends. Way more comfortable and more room to stretch out.

Jared Dilg
    BPL Member

@village

Locale: Texas

Hey Jared,

I'll echo what everyone said above too.. Definitely get 4yds of fabric, and double up both the nylon strap and Amsteel quantities.

I'm 6ft 195lb and feel almost-comfortable with the sag in my 1.1oz hammock made from BWDD's OD ripstop 2nds (awesome fabric for the price!). However I ordered the same 1.5oz fabric that you're eying, just to get less sag and feel a little more secure about climbing inside it. Do note that their 1.5oz fabric is only 54in wide. It's probably plenty wide to get a diagonal lay in a hammock, but I'm used to the ample 66in width of their 1.1oz fabric.

The hammock and whoopies are easy and fun to make. Just double-hem all four sides of the 4yd piece to finish the hammock. To splice the whoopies, pick up a yarn needle from JoAnns or Walmart. Before threading the eye of the needle with the Amsteel you'll want to pull out and trim off a couple yarns in the braid to get a smaller end for threading.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Why not silnylon for your hammock?

Nathan Baker
    BPL Member

@slvravn

I always thought that silnylon was not as good a choice as uncoated nylon due to its lack of breathability. Now this isn't first hand knowledge, but from what i have read. Do you have a different experience with it Lawson?

Chris Peichel

@momo

Locale: Eureka

I personally would not want a hammock made from silnylon.

Having breathable fabric under you, I believe, is important especially in warmer temps.

For example: before I made an uq, I was using my z-lite in my hammmock with my sleeping bag used only as a top quilt. The temps that night only dropped to around 50deg. I woke up with a cold back covered with sweat and puddles of sweat in the depressions in the z-lite. This night inspired me to make an uq. I have since spent nights in a breathable hammock with an uq, in temps from warmer to colder and been nothing but comfortable.

I have been happy with the 1.1oz nylon from bwdd. I am making another hammock from 1.5oz nylon(uncoated) from bwdd to see if I like the slightly heavier fabric. My down tq and uq are both made with the 1.1oz ripstop from bwdd, great price on really nice fabric.

I also recommend getting 4yds for a hammock, you can always make it shorter.

I will only sleep on the ground now if I absolutely have to.

Troy Ammons
    BPL Member

@tammons

Silnylon doesn't breath.

Yep +1 to above. 12' long and 5' wide is where you want to be.

Hem all 4 sides.

Double layer is more comfortable than single layer and
    if you leave open areas at the sides you can slip in pads.

Whip it and you are done.

A simple, cheap lightish and easy to adjust suspension is Harbor freight 12'L 1200# straps, 2 descender rings ea end, and some brummeled amsteel loops to connect the hammock to the rings. The straps are in a tie down kit that you take apart.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools