Topic

SUL Long Handled Titanium Spoon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) SUL Long Handled Titanium Spoon

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I just weighed my 2.5cm(1″) diameter bamboo walking sticks; 280gm each in 150cm. Thats 560gm(20oz) for a pair. Coincidently exactly the weight of my REI Summit Treking poles ($60). The bamboo cost the equivalent of 50 cents each. A prussik-style handle loop could slide up and down as necessary; as is done on some graphite poles of fixed length. Anyone inspired to try bamboo?

J R

@ravenul

I dremeled one of our PC bamboo spoons.

It came out exceedingly well I think. Maybe note quite so refined as Miguels curry spoon – – a bit more tribal looking I think – – but it is quite light and quite rigid. No worries about this thing getting bent or breaking off.

Ill try and post pics tomorrow.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

>Anyone inspired to try bamboo?

I used a bamboo pole as a staff for several years in Hawaii. Diameter 1.5″, length 6′, weight 13 oz, cost $0. I only had one failure, when a large rock rolled out from under me and I put my entire weight on the pole. Still, it kept me from going over the cliff. I get more boost from my trekking poles now, but if I’m only taking one pole I still grab one of my bamboo poles. I like the feel.

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

alas. my in-laws had a bamboo forest in their backyard. it was delightful. but they sold the house and i have no yard or garage and so i wasn’t able to hoard any bamboo before they moved out.

my hands-down favorite cooking utensils are my bamboo spatula and spoon. nothing else i’ve ever used is even close to as good.

i’ll be stopping in at ranch 99 (huge asian grocery chain here in CA) and will keep an eye out for bamboo curry spoons.

i LOVE the idea of bamboo-based gear. siliconized bamboo fabric! should we start a petition to get BPL to look into a possible manufacturer? can you make UL ripstop with bamboo fibers? when we build our straw-bale house someday, i’d like to use bamboo for pinning, instead of rebar.

oh, man, the fun i could have if i had anyplace suitable for a workshop… darn semi-urban sardine-can living!

Brett .

@brett1234

Colleen, this is a little off topic, but regarding the use of bamboo, the most interesting hardwood house flooring I have seen was made from split and rolled bamboo. I hope to have it in my house some day.
    I like the post about bamboo for single-pole, metal or carbon for dual-pole use. On a recent hike the narrow trail was obstructed by one spider web after another, every several meters, each with a big fat hairy spider somewhere along the web. It was getting dark, I was alone, and spiders are my one phobia; it was really creeping me out. I cut and used a 3m length of bamboo as a wand to blindly clear the trail in front of me. Light and low-enough inertia to wave, despite its long length. Useful stuff. Here in Japan, bamboo is also used for training swords in the sport of kendo; it is remarkably durable and flexible. I am going to try and split some bamboo to replace the aluminum stays in my Lafuma Race28 pack..just as a test.

Brett .

@brett1234

JR; thanks for the information on the use of bamboo as a structural member. Further evidence that it could be applicable to LW backpacking for someone who prefers a sustainable material. (one poster noted that the stuff is more than sustainable, it grows like a weed!) In the field of aviation, wood is still used as a structural load bearing member in small aircraft construction, especially as the spar of the main wing, with laminated layers of plywood; the fibers running span-wise. I’m trying to return to natural materials in my gear inventory; for example Im searching for a bargain on smartwool components to replace some of my inner ‘plastic’ clothing layers. In fact I write these posts as an aside after checking the ‘gear deals’ here..

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I’ve gathered some images over the years of bamboo items. Here are some of backpacks from different Asian cultures.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

People carrying bamboo backpacks in China.

In the northern Philippines (part of my heritage), a lot of the people who live in the mountains have a whole economic culture based on their bamboo backpacks, called “Pasiking“.

Some of the varieties of Pasiking that the mountain people use.

Another Pasiking example. There are basically two kinds, the ones with a purse-like opening on top…

…or the ones with a lid and frame around the pack. From these basic designs a lot of variations developed.

In Japan farmers and woodspeople have used bamboo backpacks for centuries. The tapered design so that the opening is wider is to facilitate throwing things over your shoulder into the pack as you are in the fields.

A modern version of using bamboo in a backpack.

One site to visit.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Wow! That is a lot of bamboo backpacks ;-) Neat!

Tar, if you ever want bamboo…come visit my side yard. I cut it all down in spring, to the ground…and? All back now. Without chemicals, it isn’t going away. Intresting is it bends when first cut, real supple. But within a day or two it goes hard as stone.
    And, don’t cut it without full coverage. It rips your hands apart. Love the smell of it!

J R

@ravenul

Ok, heres a pic of the spoon I made.

On the left is the “spoon blank” made by pampered chef.

On the right is a classic lexan spoon.

http://216.71.129.172/PA070037.JPG

Heres another view.

http://216.71.129.172/PA070040.JPG

Sorry, Im not a photographer.

Brett .

@brett1234

Miguel,
    Excellent post; it is clear you research all subjects you discuss here quite thoroughly. I hope you are able to create some comparible items.

Hideaki Terasawa
    Spectator

@trsw3

Locale: Tokyo

Hello Miguel-san.

Recently, my mother uses this backpack when she harvest wild plants in the woods.
    This is made from the material for packing and the waste materials. It’s SUL and sturdy.
    I received one from her because that idea was wonderful.

You can obtain all materials from anywhere!

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Duluth pack makes similar baskets made to fit inside their canvas packs. They can also be used separately:

Duluth pack

Colleen Clemens

@tarbubble

Locale: dirtville, CA

the basket-pack is a really interesting idea. what would one weigh, roughly? my biggest concern would be durability/breakage, as most of the (cheap) baskets i’ve ever had tended to crack if they were stepped on or other accidental things happened to them.

the basket would be stiff enough to act like a framesheet. then a large waterproof stuffsack could be used as a liner.

what does anybody know about bamboo cloth? does it retain water like cotton, or dry more quickly, like nylon? this could be a whole new subcategory – organic backpacking. dang, i need to look into this.

Hideaki Terasawa
    Spectator

@trsw3

Sorry, now I have no scale here. Its weight is maybe less than 1kg.
    I don’t want to step on this bag, but I think it will be not broken because it’s made from flexible tough
    plastic tape. Bamboo basket will be broken if you step on it.

Thinking light and durable basket is like a insect exoskeleton structure. It can be compared with vertebrate animal(inner frame bag).
    Very interesting.

Bamboo cloth.. sorry, I have no knowledge of it.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

JR… nice work on your bamboo spoon. One thing that I’ve found I want to change a little bit on mine (the one pictured at the beginning of this thread) is to have the bowl tilt up a little so that when trying to get contents out of my pot the angle will get down in there a little better. I find a flat spoon hard to use.

Brett, I’ve been thinking about using bamboo and an “exoskeleton” as Hideaki refers to, for a very long time. I always wondered why, if people are going to use those big mesh pockets on the outside of their packs, not just make the mesh pockets themselves the main body of the pack, and then the backpack’s body fabric a waterproof liner sack. That way you get rid of the redundant fabric, have the “mesh pockets” do double duty, plus give a little more function to the body fabric/ liner sack combination that so many people use.

Hideaki, that packing strap pack is just wonderful! And I imagine very light. The packing straps are those very tight ones you see on cardboard boxes that you have to cut to open the box, right? Not sure what they are called. But they must be very strong and I know they are very light. And those rails at the bottom of the pack are curtain rods, right? What about the pack strap rod… is that a plastic shopping bag handle? What an ingenious use of readily available materials! Did your mother make the pack herself? What did she use inside the rim of the basket? And may I ask where she obtained the plastic strap material? (by the way, I tried several times to leave comments on your blog, but I couldn’t understand the registration process…一ヶ月前ぐらい寺沢さんのブロッグでコメントを書くつもりだったけど登録の仕方が分からなくて止めました).

Colleen, I don’t know very much about bamboo cloth, but have been checking around the bookstores here in Tokyo and Japanese websites for more information. So far I haven’t found anything, but there must information out there. If it’s something I can learn to make myself (perhaps making the bamboo cloth using paper-making techniques, and using thinned down silicone as an emulsion?) I’d very much like to learn more about it.

J R

@ravenul

Thanks Miguel. I dont know if you can see it, but the lip on my spoon is fairly deep. It definatly holds on to whats in it… but its not so deep as to be awkward.

Re: bamboo fabric. From what I have read, when untreated it is very “wicking”. It absorbs water very fast over the surface of the material where it then evaporates “in a split second” (per one reference) which sounds remarkably like pertex doesnt it?. It is also claimed to be naturally anti-bacterial. so far the lightest weave I have found is claimed to be 110gm/2. I am utterly useless at math, so I dont know what that translates into in imperial numbers… but there ya go.
    However I have not yet found bamboo fabric that is pure. It seems to always be blended with something else.

I dont think you could make ‘boo fabric at home. The process seems to be that the ‘boo is beat/crushed to seperate the fibers into silklike strands, and then the strands are combed to remove any clinging cellulose particles. From there, it is woven. Its not like a mulberry paper-cloth.

Brett .

@brett1234

Hideaki-san, I agree with Miguel, that packing strap pack is ingeneous. The way the lower frame is integrated into the straps is wonderful. It would be a great beach bag or, with a lid, a sawanobori pack. I hope you pass on the admiration we have for the craftsmanship, to your mother.
    I was surprised to learn there is bamboo fabric and clothing. Seems like there is another UL alternative to plastic or wool clothing.

Hideaki Terasawa
    Spectator

@trsw3

Hi Miguel-san,

Are the packing straps those very tight ones you see on cardboard boxes? Yes! They are called PP band(PPバンド) and stopper.
    f.e.
    http://www5e.biglobe.ne.jp/~eshop555/PP&Stopper/forHAND/PP&Stopper1.html

And those rails at the bottom of the pack are curtain rods, right? Exactly BINGO!

Shoulder straps, it comes from remnants of cheap carpet.

Maybe it wasn’t made by her. I know that she lack the dexterity to make it :) But her friend would be. Because it’s not a commercial product.

I can show you it if you want.
    I hope that you make progress of the exoskeleton bag.

Now I know many BPL members live in Tokyo because we shared same typhoon.
    コメントお待ちしていますよ!

Hi Brett B-san,
    Thank you. I talk to her about your appraisal. She will be pop-eyed.

J R

@ravenul

came across these tonight.

4 pack of bamboo spoons, 6in long, for $6.00

Looks like Miguel’s curry spoon.

http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=13.202.065&dept_id=13164

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools