Topic

I’m looking for a warm shirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) I’m looking for a warm shirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

"Any suggestions out there in the marketplace?"

If you're talking summer in the Sierra, you might take a look at the Montbell Extremely Light Down Sweater. I used it as a second layer over my Cap 1 LS base layer last year up there. It was great, warm and light. Add a lightweight windshirt and for ~9 oz you'll have far more warmth that a 100 weight fleece shirt at 11 oz will provide. Add a Montbell UL Inner Parka, and I'm good down to ~20. YMMV on this one.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Mountain Hardware Chill zip-T pullover was 9 oz but now Summithut is showing the lastest model at 10 oz. Been doing the same search for a summertime layer and Montbell Chameece vest seems to be the lowest weight in the outdoor clothing arena.

Might need to check running apparel.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

""Marmot Driclime"

They aren't getting any cheaper, are they?

–B.G.–"

If you're a medium I'd be happy to sell you one real cheap.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Mountain Hardware Chill zip-T pullover"

I don't see that these are full zip front, as discussed.

Some kind of synthetic microfleece is the right solution. I already have a couple of down layers going. Down is good when I am standing around in camp. However, when I am moving on the trail, the down takes a beating from compression from the backpack. Microfleece, of course, does not get compressed much.

–B.G.–

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Bob… I would have sent you a PM, but you don't have it set up. If you want, I can bring it to Pt Reyes if you want to check one else. The other option is to see if Nick has some at Down Works in Santa Cruz.

–mark

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"If you want, I can bring it to Pt Reyes if you want to check one else."

What is in Pt Reyes?

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Ahhh, yes, the no-free-lunch mid-layer quandary.

My feeble attempts (weights in ounces for XL sizes)

Lands End ThermaCheck 100 Fleece Half-zip Pullover 8.1oz
    REI 100W fleece 1/4 zip, 10.4
    Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch 1/4 zip long sleeve 10.9
    Mountain Hardwear Power Stretch vest 8.5
    EMS Power Stretch full zip hoodie 13.9

Jump to 200W stuff 16-19oz or more.

It's all polyester, fluffed up in one way or another. You can work around the same issue with some wool garments, but it end up in the same place. You can play with the middle-weight Capilene layers and save some weight (a couple ounces), but you lose the warmth. Some use the thin insulated jackets like the Thermawrap or Nano Puff, which I think are a waste if you haul a windshirt. The microfleece insulated jackets like the Marmot Driclime and the Patagonia Alpine Wind Jacket are about 11oz, but they lose versatility– a windshirt with base layer or mid layer gives more choices.

I like the Power Stretch hoodie. It is heavier, but so much more versatile. Mix it up with a windshirt or rain shell, wear it alone, wear it for sleep, etc, etc. It is comfortable, it breathes and wicks moisture, It's not too bad on space. It costs too much. Plug the R1 garments in the same place, high cost included. Team them up with a polyfill vest and you can take on some nasty weather.

Next time out, I'm going to spray myself with contact cement and have my wife hit me with a leaky feather pillow :)

Richard Barish

@rdbarish

Locale: New Mexico

I found a fleece called a "grid fleece" at Eddie Bauer recently. It is made up of small squares of fleece surrounded by thin lines of no-fleece. It is less warm than a lightweight fleece, but in size small, it weights 7 oz as opposed to 9 oz for a lightweight fleece. However, it is a quarter zip. It seems to me, though, that I have seen other garments decribed as grid fleece, so you might search around to see if you can find one with a full zip. If it's the same stuff, it is lighter than a regular light fleece.

The Bauer garment: http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=39049&&categoryId=22889&categoryName=NEW-ARRIVALS&pCategoryId=2&pCategoryName=MEN&gpCategoryId=1&gpCategoryName=EB&catPath=~~categoryId=22889~~categoryName=NEW-ARRIVALS~~pCategoryId=2~~pCategoryName=MEN~~gpCategoryId=1~~gpCategoryName=EB&viewAll=y&basic=true

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools