Topic

Wrangell St Elias National Park Seven Pass Route

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Wrangell St Elias National Park Seven Pass Route

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Kremers

@dkremers

A buddy of mine just proposed doing this trip in mid August this year. Until now I've just done someday hike stuff, a 14er when I was in Co is probably my best accomplishment. Physically I think I will be fine (I kept up with my friend on the 14er and I was carrying an extra 50 pounds at that point).

What I'm concerned about is gear. I really only have some basics and a Talon 33, which I don't think will cut it for a trip of this length. There will also be a need for crampons.

I guess I'm looking for some advice on what gear to get and what to expect up there.

PS. I do have a grosamer the one tent i've only used in the backyard.

Daniel Kremers

@dkremers

Something I forgot. The terrain looks pretty rocky. Would it be wise to use boots or will trail runners still suffice?

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

Looks awesome. Not really the info you're seeking but may help. The best trip report I've seen yet..

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/169211-33-Days-Across-Wrangell-St-Elias-NP-AK-The-Southern-Spiral-%28NSR%29

Russ Porter

@russp17

Locale: Anchorage

I don't think the Wrangells are a place to learn to backpack. They are wild mountains. I live in and love Alaska however it is wild. If I were you I would get out for many week trips or if that is not possible many 3-4 day trips in the lower 48. prefebly somewhere very remote. Mistakes in other places can lead to a poor time mistakes in Alaska lead to death.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools