Topic

My just barely sub 5 lb list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My just barely sub 5 lb list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

This is a new list for me that I can see using a lot around northern Colorado–especially in the Rawahs and Zirkels this summer. I'll be close to streams and lakes and it can be just plain nice weather in August and early September. Do you have any helpful thoughts for improvement or areas that might need to be "beefed" up?

Thanks,
    Jason

Packing:
    Pack—MYOG 9.8
    Oven Bag Pack Liner .5
    10.3 ozs

Shelter:
    Tarp—Golite Poncho w/line 8.0
    Stakes (8) 1.7
    9.7 ozs

Sleeping:

Quilt—Golite Ultra 20 (Long) 20.5

Sleeping Pad—Blue CCF 4.9
    Ti Goat Bivy 7.6
    33 ozs.

Other Clothing:
    Windshirt Golite Dakota 4.0
    Down Vest—Montbell 4.5

Balaclava 1.7

2 Pair Extra Nylon Socks 2.8
    Gloves 1.5
    Golite Poncho (counted as shelter)

14.5 ozs

Cooking:
    Mug/Pot Snow Peak 600 2.8

Foil Lid .1
    Gram Cracker Stand .1
    ULC Caldera Cone Windscreen .7

Spoon Lexan .3
    4.0 ozs.

Miscellaneous:

Lighter Mini Bic .4
    7 Wooden Matches, Striker and Fire Starter .1
    Water Bottle 1 liter Platy .8
    Water Purification—Aquamira .6

OP Sak .9
    First Aid Kit 1.4
    Toothbrush .3
    Sunscreen/Lip Balm Dermatone .5
    Insect Repellant Picaridin .5
    Dr. Bronners Soap .2
    1 MYOG Eyeglass case .2
    Map (Varies) 1.5
    7.4 ozs.

78.9 ozs. 4.93 pounds Total Base Weight Carried

Compass on watch
    Worn around neck:
    Whistle .1
    Knife—Derma Safe Razor .2
    Flashlight—Photon Micro Freedom .2

Consumables:
    Fuel-Esbit Tabs
    Food

Troy Childs

@tchilds

That is a really good list. I'm thinking MYOG pack cuben, save 4oz. myog quilt save 5-7oz. That's what I would do.

P.S. Sell me the glite 20 =)

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Thanks Troy!

The myog backpack is one I just made from a Ray Jardine kit. The pack is the 2600 cubic inch design. I realize that this pack is too big for this list but when I need a bigger tarp, need more insulation and go up into the 7 to 8 lb range I will have the room. If this pack works out this summer and if it is too big, I will definitely make a smaller and lighter one but I don't know about using cuban fiber–it sounds too expensive for me.

I've looked at doing a myog down quilt but it looks a bit too complicated for me. I have made a synthetic quilt and I like it but it weighs 40 ozs.

And "No" I don't want to sell my Golite Ultra 20.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

you've got it pared down pretty good :)

I think our clime (MT) is pretty similar to N. CO- I use a MB exlight jacket in lieu of a vest, but there are certainly times a vest would do- w/ the exlight jacket your only taking a oz or two hit over the vest and would give you a little more lee way for cooler temps

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Thanks Mike!

The major reason I have the vest over the jacket is that I was able to get the vest on a closeout sale so not only is my pack lighter but my wallet isn't. I like that. But you are right that a jacket would cover a great range of temps. I've found wearing my windshirt with the vest, balaclava and gloves covers a wide range and then if I'm still cold, just wear my sleeping quilt like a shawl. And when I wear my quilt like a shawl I'm warming it up for when it's time to go to bed.

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

Jason,

Amazing list, have you had success with Picaridin as insect repellent? Last year in July around the Rawah lakes that it didn't even phase the mosquitos.

Check out Comanche Peaks wilderness too, nice area.

Eric

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Eric, I have had good results with picaridin. I've been using it for the last couple of years maybe it works better with some folks than others. I also started spraying my clothing with permitherin and that seems to work very well too. It means that I just have to treat my unexposed skin.

I've day hiked the Comanche Wilderness area quite a bit. I spend a week or two every summer up at Sky Ranch Lutheran Camp and either get to take middle school kids up or go solo. I've done that for almost 20 years. But oddly enough I've never spent the night up in it. I just come back to the camp.

What are some of your other favorite areas in Colorado?

Jason

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Plan on being cold with only the vest as insulation or plan on wrapping yourself in your sleeping bag in the evening and morning around camp. Otherwise the list looks great. Personally I'd allow myself the option to perhaps bump the weight over the five pound mark if it would allow me to bring a proper puffy jacket for warmth.

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Sam, I'm not going to plan on being cold. That's why I mentioned that the list was for August and early September which is usually spectacular and fairly warm in northern Colorado. June is muddy and cool and July is usually fairly wet or stormy. I've used most of this equipment already and know that it "should" work but the vest is new. If the temp does drop unexpectedly and I can use the quilt or just build a nice fire. I've been backpacking in Colorado 40 years so this is not my first rodeo in the high country.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools