Topic

Freeze-Dried Durian Fruit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Freeze-Dried Durian Fruit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I know there are a couple of you guys who loooovvveeee Durian Fruit so I had to post that you can get it freeze-dried now ;-)
    http://importfood.com/current021411.html

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

DURIAN

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Durian should be sold with nose plugs. Just saying.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Do you suppose that FD durian is odor-free until it is rehydrated? After that, maybe it could serve as a SUL bear deterent. At least it should keep other hikers from pitching their tents anywhere near yours.

I still think you are an imp for posting that, Sarah. Want to start another flame war, or what? An imp, for sure. But I think I'll buy some anyway…

JOHN ZENNER
    Spectator

@johnz

Locale: East Bay

I spent two years living in West Africa, and traveled the world after. The nastiest stuff I ever ate by a long shot was Durian while in Bali about 10 years ago. Durian made me sicker than anything I can remember. Why people consider this a delacacy is beyond even my far ranging sense of appetite, which led me to consume a lot of strange stuff in my world travels. To each their own.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"The nastiest stuff I ever ate by a long shot was Durian while in Bali about 10 years ago. Durian made me sicker than anything I can remember."

You probably got a rotten one. They have a rather different sense of humor in that part of the world, especially when it comes to round eyes.

"Why people consider this a delacacy is beyond even my far ranging sense of appetite, which led me to consume a lot of strange stuff in my world travels."

It's an acquired taste for most, if they're ever going to like it. Me? It was love at first bite.

"To each their own." Always.

AND THANK YOU SARAH!!!!! A special Happy Valentines Day to you.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I was thinking of ya, Tom! :-D

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I'm with Tom on this one!

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I was thinking of ya, Tom! :-D"

Bless yer heart, young lady. You've made an old man's dreary winter day a little brighter. ;-))

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I was cured of EVER wanting to eat durian when I served in the Peace Corps in the Philippines. I was in a "bus", you know, the kind that has handmade wooden construction from the windshield back, with only thin plywood for "windows" to raise when it rains. The kind with wooden seats spaced close enough for double amputees. The kind with pigs and chickens inside. The kind that break down most often in the rain.

Well this day it was raining, constantly, and I was in the bus with the "windows" closed. As we lurched down the dirt road I began to smell this gagging stench emanating from the front of the bus. Upon discreet inquiry I discovered two old ladies up front were eating fresh durian. As we bounced our way southward the stench got very bad and finally other Filipinos could no longer stand it either and requested that they toss the remains out the winhdow, which, thankfully, they did.

Meanwhile I'm now soaked B/C I had to open my "window" to breathe. But better soaked with rain than my own vomit.

So now I can't even abide durian candy (yes, they make that stuff) :(~.

Scott Truong
    Spectator

@elf773

Locale: Vancouver, BC

The smell stops being problematic after the first time eating the fruit. That was my experience.

Now I Love the stuff, especially ice cold, durian milk shakes or blended with ice. I hate the tropics, but when I'm there, sweltering humidity and ice cold durian go hand in hand.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"I was in a "bus", you know, the kind that has handmade wooden construction from the windshield back, with only thin plywood for "windows" to raise when it rains."

That sounds like a Jeepney.

Hey, they weren't elegant, but they got us around, and they were cheap.

–B.G.–

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools