Topic

2011 Colorado Trail list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 2011 Colorado Trail list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Locale: Northern Rockies

I'll be starting anywhere from july 2-6, and am planning a 3.5 week itinerary. Hiking SOBO. Tear this list apart, things i should bring or things i shouldn't. Not willing to spend more than another $100 bucks on gear. also looking for trail advice from previous thru-hikers.

Packing
    Golite Jam (modified) 22.5
    Trash compactor bag 1
    STS dri sack 2L .5
    STS dri sack 8L X2 2

Sleeping
    WM summerlite 19
    Ridgerest 3/4 8

Cooking
    Ti-ware .9L pot 4
    Ettowah alcohol stove w/ screen 3
    Ti-ware spork .5
    Ti-ware mug 2.5
    Sponge .2
    Towel .4

Shelter
    Tarptent Contrail 24.5
    8 Easton Stakes 2
    Repair tape .1

Fuel
    4oz squirt bottle 1
    Dasani bottle 1

Clothing
    Patagonia Cap 3 top 8
    Nike Dri-fit tights 8
    Wright-sock socks 1.2
    Melenzana socks 1
    Golite shirt 3.5
    Montbell U.L. Tec 11
    Golite Virga 7
    Sierra Designs rain pants 8
    Beanie 1.5
    Burton Liners 1

Misc.
    Sunglasses .5
    Cell-phone 3.5
    Phone charger 1.5
    Digital Camera 5
    Camera Charger 1.3
    First Aid 1.5
    Knife 1
    50 ft Kelty Trip tease 1
    Colorado trail Guidebook 10
    Toilet paper 1
    BD Ultra-Distance Poles 9
    Golite Visor 1

Footwear
    La Sportiva Fireblade 28
    Simblissity Levagaiters 1.5

Totals Base weight 163.7

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Allen,

What a great trip you have planned. I have only been on sections of the trail. The southern portion is absolutely stunning.
    I guess I might nitpick some of your clothing choices like the Cap 3 and Nike tights. Depending on what you are hiking in, you have the Golite Virga, the Montbell, the rain pants along with your sleeping bag which you can wear as a robe, I think that would be more than enough insulation. I do understand the temptation to want to be warm. Also I see no compass or gps. If you don't want to spend a lot more money–pick up a compass. Can the guidebook be lightened up? I don't know–trimmed up, pulled apart, etc.? Do you really need a mug when you have your pot? The both can often be combined. And even though it is little weight you may not need both a sponge and a towel for cleaning. I would just pick one.

I look forward to reading what others say about your list and have a great trip!

Jason

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

My advice:

Don't be a purist. The CT has a lot of lack luster routing. Get off the trail and hike some alternates. For instance, follow the CDT. Often, it stays high, when the CT is down in the trees.

Matthew Zion

@mzion

Locale: Boulder, CO

I'll be out there too this year but I will probably be starting a week before you.

I think your list looks good. You could probably live w/o a few of the clothing items.

And like Jack said, I've heard good things about getting off the official trail for things like Massive, Elbert, and Hope Pass

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Jason,

I was thinking the same thing about the insulation and i think you're right, i have to much. Would a light vest be worth it or just scratch the montbell? good to hear about the compass as well, i have one so ill bring it.

Jack,

I just watched some of your videos on youtube and i love some of the re-routes you took, ill definitely be taking the mt. elbert route like you did, seems very worth it.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Jack,

Also what clothing did you take on your trip?

Jack H.

@found

I brought shorts and a tshirt, a warm jacket (Patagonia Puffball), a lightweight baselayer top and bottom, marmot precip rain pants, golite rain jacket, two pairs of socks, fleece gloves, fleece hat and a sun hat. It's what I bring on pretty much all trips that might get cold.

As for alternates, consider staying off the CT even after Hope Pass. The route over Elkhead Pass (?) is excellent, and so is the CDT. The CT, is in the forest and misses great mountains. No idea why they chose to put it where they did.

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Hey! I'll be doing to CT at the same time! We'll probably run into each other somewere!

My theoretical gear list looks pretty similar, and I second the advice already given in this thread. I live in Atlanta so I don't have any experience with trail conditions, so I'll be following this thread.

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Allen,

If it was me, I would just keep your Montbell jacket and lose the Cap 3 and Nike tights. (Together don't those weigh about a pound?) I like to hike in pants, right now I'm using Golite Younan's and that for me means that I would not take the rain pants. But if you hike in shorts you might like the rain pants not only for rain but to keep the legs warm when needed.

Jason

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Tyler,

That will be awesome! hopefully we run into each other. Im actually from atlanta as well (small world!) but live out here now, and i would have to tell you you're going to absolutely love the conditions out here.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Jack,

How long are some of the re-routes? also are there maps for them or will i just be navigating with topo maps?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Jack H. said

"Don't be a purist. The CT has a lot of lack luster routing. Get off the trail and hike some alternates. For instance, follow the CDT. Often, it stays high, when the CT is down in the trees."

+1

Look specifically at the CDT from Twin Lakes to Monarch Crest. It is somewhat more difficult, but keeps you in the mountains versus the ranch roads and the green tunnel that parallels the Arkansas Valley with it's roads, subdivisions, and resorts.

Jack H.

@found

The trails are shown on standard topo maps. Or if you prefer a map with the CDT marked, you can get that from Jonathan Ley or the CDTA. I don't think that there is a map that focuses on other alternates.

Without looking it up, I don't know what the distance on the CDT is between Twin Lakes and Monarch Pass. Greg, do you know? I think it took me three days on the CDT, not sure how long it took on my CT hike.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I just checked the distances from Twin Lakes to Greens Creek on the Monarch Crest, which is where they join up again, and the CDT route is about 3 miles longer. More alpine. Less civilization. And a Lot more elevation gain and loss. It will be more difficult. And that is the route I would choose in a flash. I like hiking up and down mountains, away from barking dogs and resorts. YMMV.

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Greg i strongly agree with you there. I will most definitely be taking that route seeing as i love hiking alpine terrain.

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

It really is a small world.

This will be my first time hiking out west and I'm already looking for an excuse to move there!

Have you used the seirra designs rain pants much? Are they the microlite pants?

I'll shoot you a pm some time about trail details!

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

no they are super old. they weigh a bunch for pants but the reason i like them so much is that they dont really breath i.e. they're warm. they are the hurricane pants from like 2003 (?).

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Hmm OK

I was looking at the Sierra Designs Microlight at REI and the tags say they are 8oz for pants or jacket and only $40. They claim to be waterproof but im not sure i believe it.
    Oh well ill just have to drop the whopping $40 and check them out myself!

Allen Butts
    BPL Member

@butts0989

Ya that is probably your best bet. Its one piece of gear i never leave home without. Also look into some marmot and go-lite pants. They fit well, but will be more pricey for sure. PM me when you're heading out here and maybe we can meet up before we leave.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools