Topic

2011 Colorado Trail list

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Allen Butts BPL Member
PostedFeb 13, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I'll be starting anywhere from july 2-6, and am planning a 3.5 week itinerary. Hiking SOBO. Tear this list apart, things i should bring or things i shouldn't. Not willing to spend more than another $100 bucks on gear. also looking for trail advice from previous thru-hikers.

Packing
Golite Jam (modified) 22.5
Trash compactor bag 1
STS dri sack 2L .5
STS dri sack 8L X2 2

Sleeping
WM summerlite 19
Ridgerest 3/4 8

Cooking
Ti-ware .9L pot 4
Ettowah alcohol stove w/ screen 3
Ti-ware spork .5
Ti-ware mug 2.5
Sponge .2
Towel .4

Shelter
Tarptent Contrail 24.5
8 Easton Stakes 2
Repair tape .1

Fuel
4oz squirt bottle 1
Dasani bottle 1

Clothing
Patagonia Cap 3 top 8
Nike Dri-fit tights 8
Wright-sock socks 1.2
Melenzana socks 1
Golite shirt 3.5
Montbell U.L. Tec 11
Golite Virga 7
Sierra Designs rain pants 8
Beanie 1.5
Burton Liners 1

Misc.
Sunglasses .5
Cell-phone 3.5
Phone charger 1.5
Digital Camera 5
Camera Charger 1.3
First Aid 1.5
Knife 1
50 ft Kelty Trip tease 1
Colorado trail Guidebook 10
Toilet paper 1
BD Ultra-Distance Poles 9
Golite Visor 1

Footwear
La Sportiva Fireblade 28
Simblissity Levagaiters 1.5

Totals Base weight 163.7

PostedFeb 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Allen,

What a great trip you have planned. I have only been on sections of the trail. The southern portion is absolutely stunning.
I guess I might nitpick some of your clothing choices like the Cap 3 and Nike tights. Depending on what you are hiking in, you have the Golite Virga, the Montbell, the rain pants along with your sleeping bag which you can wear as a robe, I think that would be more than enough insulation. I do understand the temptation to want to be warm. Also I see no compass or gps. If you don't want to spend a lot more money–pick up a compass. Can the guidebook be lightened up? I don't know–trimmed up, pulled apart, etc.? Do you really need a mug when you have your pot? The both can often be combined. And even though it is little weight you may not need both a sponge and a towel for cleaning. I would just pick one.

I look forward to reading what others say about your list and have a great trip!

Jason

PostedFeb 13, 2011 at 6:15 pm

My advice:

Don't be a purist. The CT has a lot of lack luster routing. Get off the trail and hike some alternates. For instance, follow the CDT. Often, it stays high, when the CT is down in the trees.

PostedFeb 13, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I'll be out there too this year but I will probably be starting a week before you.

I think your list looks good. You could probably live w/o a few of the clothing items.

And like Jack said, I've heard good things about getting off the official trail for things like Massive, Elbert, and Hope Pass

Allen Butts BPL Member
PostedFeb 13, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Jason,

I was thinking the same thing about the insulation and i think you're right, i have to much. Would a light vest be worth it or just scratch the montbell? good to hear about the compass as well, i have one so ill bring it.

Jack,

I just watched some of your videos on youtube and i love some of the re-routes you took, ill definitely be taking the mt. elbert route like you did, seems very worth it.

PostedFeb 13, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I brought shorts and a tshirt, a warm jacket (Patagonia Puffball), a lightweight baselayer top and bottom, marmot precip rain pants, golite rain jacket, two pairs of socks, fleece gloves, fleece hat and a sun hat. It's what I bring on pretty much all trips that might get cold.

As for alternates, consider staying off the CT even after Hope Pass. The route over Elkhead Pass (?) is excellent, and so is the CDT. The CT, is in the forest and misses great mountains. No idea why they chose to put it where they did.

PostedFeb 13, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Hey! I'll be doing to CT at the same time! We'll probably run into each other somewere!

My theoretical gear list looks pretty similar, and I second the advice already given in this thread. I live in Atlanta so I don't have any experience with trail conditions, so I'll be following this thread.

PostedFeb 13, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Allen,

If it was me, I would just keep your Montbell jacket and lose the Cap 3 and Nike tights. (Together don't those weigh about a pound?) I like to hike in pants, right now I'm using Golite Younan's and that for me means that I would not take the rain pants. But if you hike in shorts you might like the rain pants not only for rain but to keep the legs warm when needed.

Jason

Allen Butts BPL Member
PostedFeb 13, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Tyler,

That will be awesome! hopefully we run into each other. Im actually from atlanta as well (small world!) but live out here now, and i would have to tell you you're going to absolutely love the conditions out here.

Allen Butts BPL Member
PostedFeb 13, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Jack,

How long are some of the re-routes? also are there maps for them or will i just be navigating with topo maps?

PostedFeb 13, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Jack H. said

"Don't be a purist. The CT has a lot of lack luster routing. Get off the trail and hike some alternates. For instance, follow the CDT. Often, it stays high, when the CT is down in the trees."

+1

Look specifically at the CDT from Twin Lakes to Monarch Crest. It is somewhat more difficult, but keeps you in the mountains versus the ranch roads and the green tunnel that parallels the Arkansas Valley with it's roads, subdivisions, and resorts.

PostedFeb 13, 2011 at 8:35 pm

The trails are shown on standard topo maps. Or if you prefer a map with the CDT marked, you can get that from Jonathan Ley or the CDTA. I don't think that there is a map that focuses on other alternates.

Without looking it up, I don't know what the distance on the CDT is between Twin Lakes and Monarch Pass. Greg, do you know? I think it took me three days on the CDT, not sure how long it took on my CT hike.

PostedFeb 13, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I just checked the distances from Twin Lakes to Greens Creek on the Monarch Crest, which is where they join up again, and the CDT route is about 3 miles longer. More alpine. Less civilization. And a Lot more elevation gain and loss. It will be more difficult. And that is the route I would choose in a flash. I like hiking up and down mountains, away from barking dogs and resorts. YMMV.

Allen Butts BPL Member
PostedFeb 13, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Greg i strongly agree with you there. I will most definitely be taking that route seeing as i love hiking alpine terrain.

PostedFeb 14, 2011 at 12:03 am

It really is a small world.

This will be my first time hiking out west and I'm already looking for an excuse to move there!

Have you used the seirra designs rain pants much? Are they the microlite pants?

I'll shoot you a pm some time about trail details!

Allen Butts BPL Member
PostedFeb 14, 2011 at 5:48 am

no they are super old. they weigh a bunch for pants but the reason i like them so much is that they dont really breath i.e. they're warm. they are the hurricane pants from like 2003 (?).

PostedFeb 14, 2011 at 9:37 am

Hmm OK

I was looking at the Sierra Designs Microlight at REI and the tags say they are 8oz for pants or jacket and only $40. They claim to be waterproof but im not sure i believe it.
Oh well ill just have to drop the whopping $40 and check them out myself!

Allen Butts BPL Member
PostedFeb 15, 2011 at 6:05 am

Ya that is probably your best bet. Its one piece of gear i never leave home without. Also look into some marmot and go-lite pants. They fit well, but will be more pricey for sure. PM me when you're heading out here and maybe we can meet up before we leave.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
Loading...