Topic

Making a Bushbuddy Ultra Stove with alcohol simmer / boil at will.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Making a Bushbuddy Ultra Stove with alcohol simmer / boil at will.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Locale: United Kingdom

I had a few hours spare over the weekend and was experimenting with some alcohol stoves and had the idea of using an alcohol stove with my Bushbuddy Ultra wood burning stove and fitting simmer bands to control the heat output. I have to say that I was impressed with my first attempt as the video on the link below will show, i was able to go from a rolling boil to simmer and back again with just over a litre of water at will. I'm sure that with a little bit more experimentation I will be able to improve things even further. Of course the type of alcohol stove you use makes a difference as well. I used a Minibull Designs soda can stove (from memory i think it was called the adrenaline stove but I may be wrong). I'm looking at a way of reducing the heat output even further (at both full boil and simmer). I'd be interested if anyone else tries this. Somewhere there will be the ultimate setup of the right alcohol stove etc. I just need to find it but this is pretty good as a starting point. Maybe with a few suggestions and other Bushbuddy / Alcohol stove user input we can refine the control even more. Let me know what you think.

Click here to watch my Bushbuddy Ultra stove boil / simmer

Chris Hanson

@chrishanson

Locale: Eastern Wyoming

I'm curious what gauge/type of metal you used? Simple, yet elegant solution.

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

It was a Titanium (I think) foil which I bought from the Backpackinglight store a few years ago. It was sold as a wind shield and has sat around unused in my drawer since I bought it waiting for a project such as this. Maybe someone from BPL will be able to tell us the gauge etc from their stock records as I don't know and unfortunately I don't have the means to measure it. Also, if anyone knows where you can get more of this stuff I would be interested to know as BPL no longer sell it although there will probably be foils of other metals that will do just as well at withstanding heat etc. If anyone can contribute where such foils can be obtained, please fell free tell all!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Chris Hanson

@chrishanson

Locale: Eastern Wyoming

Thanks! I have some stainless foil that I can probably use but it is not much heavier than aluminum foil that is referred to as "tool wrap" and is used for heat treating tools. I think I'd like something a tad heavier gauge. I hope someone chimes in.

Scott Ashdown

@waterloggedwellies

Thanks for the link to Titanium Goat. I also see if I can find a supplier in the UK for Titanium foil.

Matthew Dunn

@boddunn

Locale: Kirby Muxloe

Hi Scott,
    I've bought various thickness ti foil from eBay in the UK several times. It normally comes from Slovakia in less than two weeks and seems cheaper than most other sources. There's some on there now if you want to take a look.
    Matt

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

Watch out for carbon monoxide generation if you suffocate an alcohol stove like this.

Not saying you will certainly have a problem, but I'd be concerned enough to try to get hold of a CO detector and test it.

We discussed the idea of making a variable baffle system on an OM thread on woodstoves a couple of years ago.

You shouldn't need Ti foil for the lower baffle; top baffle, possibly.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Scott, I believe that the titanium foil that BPL sold was a 6AL-4V alloy, and .0032" thick. The Ti-Goat foil is .005" thick, and it is CP-2 (unalloyed), I think.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools