Topic

Spectra bug mesh?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Question for all you fabric techies…..

Would a no-see-um mesh made out of spectra be practical, feasible, and/or beneficial in any way? Weight savings? Possible?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Hmmm….it seems like it would be lighter and stronger than current no-see-um netting. I'm not sure if it would stretch the same and it would certainly be more expensive, but this is a cool idea.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

How much material could be removed and still have enough left to stop the bugs? Probably not much. I suppose it could be useful for shoes, parts of pants and shirts, debris gaiters, bivy net hoods that have guyouts and pack mesh pockets.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Bump? Any new thoughts?

Richard Calvert
    BPL Member

@rhc124

I have hoped someone would come up with sometype of spectra no-see-um for years. I don't know enough about the fabric specs to know if it is feasible and I'm sure it would be very expensive but way cool. I also would like to here from those more knowledgeable about the subject.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

Spectra is very hard to dye. Bug netting is made to be seen through, and black gives the least glare. So white bug netting wouldn't be the best to see through. It would work, yes, but function would be limited.

Steve

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools