Topic

Seam sealing eVent mitts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Seam sealing eVent mitts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I've got a pair of the MLD eVent rain mitts on the way. I've seen numerous posts about how difficult it is to do a good, clean job of seam sealing them. So I got to wondering, is there any reason why you couldn't or wouldn't want to dilute the seam sealer with mineral spirits first and apply it with a stiff brush? Seems like it would be easier to apply without creating a mess and would maybe allow the sealer to work it's way into the seams more.

We all know it works well for silnylon, so how about eVent?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Pointless exercise imho. There's this great big hole at the end where your hand goes in. Rain and snow gets in there too well. If the cuff is inside you get rain up your arm; if the cuff is outside you get rain in the mitt. Either way, water gets in.

But the rain mitt will shed most of the rain, and that is usually quite sufficient.

Cheers

Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

I can tell you what NOT to do. Do NOT seam seal them and then hang them in the garage over a bin of grass clippings and then let your kid slam the door on the way in the house. Sloppy sealing job or not, trust me when I say they look FAR worse when it looks like grass is growing out of all the seams…..

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

I would ignore Rogers advice.

Pack them with paper or cotton
    Balls.

Put sealer in a syringe.

Seal them over two days.

These mitts ate awesome, unless you don't seal them, then they are pointless.

Unless you walk with your sleeve openings towards the sky, Rogers warning about the opening is irrelevant. Your jacket covers that opening.

These MLD mitts are useless without seam sealing.

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

I would add this advice, also.

Get an extra tube of Seam seal, and practice applying it on some other fabric. As you mentioned, seam-sealing the MLD mitt isn't easy!

Watching a video on how to do it will not help as much as you'd like, either, hehe. We, of the owning-MLD-mitt club, can attest to that.

Love my mitts, hated seam-sealing them.

Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I seam sealed my MLD eVent miits them with a commercial tube of Seam Seal or somesuch (some McNett thang), the first time I've not mixed my own. Just turned the ol' thing inside out and it was easy, simple. I took extra time to make sure the beads were extra thin. Just took my time after dinner one night, put them over pint glasses overnight while still inside out, and no problems. Just used them XC skiing up in Yosemite in both heavy, wet snow and icy cold conditions and they performed like champs…with the drawcords tight, even over my shell's sleeves they didn't ride up or get displaced when falling into snowbanks. High 'n' dry, baby.

Planning a trailrun in the rain with 'em this coming week (fingers crossed for more rain here in NorCal!)…

William Johnson

@steamboat_willie

Turning the mitts inside out is a great idea!

I think maybe I thought that it would not seep into the threads as easily when done this way. Ah, too long ago.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I'll look into getting a large syringe and trying to apply the seam sealer that way. Seams no one has any first-hand experience with diluting the seam sealer to apply to the mitts. Not sure if I want to be the test subject…

Cheers,

Nick

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I have these mitts and seam sealed them with silicone.

I turned the mitts inside out and stuffed them tight with newspaper.
    I diluted about 3:1, mineral spirits to silicone, and poured the mix into a 10 cc syringe. I worn vinyl gloves for the entire application process.

I then carefully applied the mix to the "center" and watched it wick through the stitching to each side, helping a little where needed.

Because the mix does wick, you will get occasional bonding of the newspaper on the other side. Scrape it off and be happy, it demonstrates excellent penetration.

It will look a lot better than if you had seam sealed the outside.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I stuffed mine with paper towels (a lot of them) before sealing the outside. I wish I had thought to turn them inside out. I didn't dilute the seam sealer and applied it with a small brush. My results, while effective, were not pretty. In spite of powder, dust, and dirt they still stick to themselves in places.

After doing it I realized why Ron didn't include seam sealing them as an option…

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Greg,

Thanks for your detailed description. This sounds exactly like what I was leaning towards doing. Good to know that it worked well for you.

Marco A. Sánchez

@marcoasn

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees

Pointless exercise imho. There's this great big hole at the end where your hand goes in

+1

The truth about gloves

Cheers

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Though this thread is old, I just found it and thought I'd post my experience in seam sealing these mitts. I bought mine prior to my 2009 PCT thru-hike and mainly used them to keep my hands warm. Though 2 days of rain in northern Oregon on the unsealed mitts convinced me that I should haved sealed them though my hands stayed warm even when wet. So after my trip I sealed them.

I used a toothpic to poke a tiny hole in the sealant tube and layed it on its side on my porch table. I used the tip of the toothpic to work in some sealant along a 1/2 inch seam, repeating as necessary over 1.5 hours. When I needed more sealant, I lightly touched the tube which caused a small amount to come out that I could coat the toothpic head with. I had to resist the temptation to try to use too much inorder to speed the job up. Overall, the results were excellent. I was able to get a consistant thin bead along the seam that was worked well into the threads. They don't look bad at all though you can see the few spots where I tried to use more sealant on the toothpic.

The mitts have held up well and I'm about to use them on a AT SOBO thru-hike.

Jeremy
    BPL Member

@jeremynova

Locale: NoVa

Is it better to get the stitches from both sides turned inside out or try to fill the space between the layers(was thinking about using a 14g needle/syringe). What should I use to powder them?

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I used baby powder to lightly dust on the seams that I sealed so they were not sticky.

Talcum powder would work fine too.

When I did mine, I stuffed the gloves full of towels to "puff" them up as much as possible to expose the seams for easier application of the sealant.

Tony

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

I seamed sealed the MLD mitts a bit different after my research and using "past knowledge" seam sealing tents and clothing over twenty years.
    My method is as follows:

PREP:

1. I used Poly-down fiberfill (Can be purchased at a fabric or Wal-Mart for under five dollar) for pillows that my wife who does extensive sewing had in her sewing room. Paper towels or some other soft stuffing cloth or paper to fill out the inside of mitt I would thing would be totally appropriate…. takes a lot but I reusable. TURN THE MITTS INSIDE OUT. You are filling the OUTSIDE of the mitt and sealing the INSIDE SEAMS. Stuff the thumb first and then the rest of the mitt until full. Keep it the stuffing material you are using tight as you are filling it. DO NOT stuff it half full and then start cramming it down—Too much pressure will stress the seams. Once it is stuffed, it is easy to apply a small bead of sealer on all seams.

2. Clean seams with Cotol-240™ Cleaner & Cure Accelerator or isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol.

APPLY:

1. NON DILUTED – McNettt Seam Grip will seal and strengthen the seams BUT I found the amount supplied with the mitts were insufficient for both mitts and I ended up using 1.0 oz rather than the .5 oz supplied. Apply a thin film of Seam Grip to each side of the seams (one coat). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E1Ls_9Eino&feature=youtube

2. DILUTED – To make the Seam Grip flow more freely into the seam and sewing holes I diluted Seam Grip (3 parts) to Cotol-240™ Cleaner & Cure Accelerator (1 part), using a small poly disposal paint brush. (Strongly suggest using rubber gloves.) For 2-hour dry time, mix small batches of Seam Grip with Cotol-240™. Work swiftly to insure penetration and I ran my fingers down both sides of the seam in a squeezing fashion to spread the sealer into the material and sewing holes. Try to do it in ONE smooth pass.

DRY: Hang the mitts attached with two spring loaded clothes pins to a line for drying purposes. Let dry overnight (approximately 8-12 hours—may be longer in low humidity) for NON DILUTED application.

CLEAN UP: Seam Grip will dry (cure) and flake off hands. Washing hands in soap and water will accelerate curing. Uncured Seam Grip can be partially removed with a coarse cloth soaked in rubbing alcohol. For easiest clean up wear disposable rubber gloves.

STORAGE: Left over Sam Grip partially used in tube can be placed in freezer to preserve quality….I doubt that you will have any extra.

BOTTOM LINE: Mitts were fully waterproof.

Side Bar…………I forgot to mention that the method of using 1.0 oz Seam Grip (3 parts) to Cotol-240™ Cleaner & Cure Accelerator (1 part), turning the mitts inside out and fill the glove and then seam sealing increased the total weight of both gloves by 0.28oz/1.48g (Sealed weight of gloves was 1.48oz/42g)……..this is assuming the 1.2 oz given on Ron Bell's web site is correct for a pair of mitts not sealed since I did not measure my pair prior to Seam Grip application.

Time will tell how long the mitts will remain waterproof using this method.

Joshua Abel
    BPL Member

@aberrix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E1Ls_9Eino

I followed that video and mine turned out really good, better than I had expected. I'd suggest watching the video and doing the same.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools