Topic

Need help with rocky mountain destinations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Need help with rocky mountain destinations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    joseph peterson

@sparky

Locale: Southern California

So I am trying to get some ideas together for a family reunion in 2012, and I need help from local residents of Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, new mexico, possibly arizona and idaho.

Was hoping for california as I know all the nooks and crannies of the sierra, but with a family of six driving in from iowa, and another family of 5 driving in from arkansas, we need to meet out east some.

I need:

1. somewhere in the Rockies, not farther north than Yellowstone.

2. looking for a small locally owned cabin resort, able to accomodate 35 people, in cabins/tents.

3. Needs to be affordable, and no chain resort yuppie crap

4. Access to hiking, fishing, horseback riding, general water activities

5. Somewhere high enough to avoid heat….hopefully at least 6,000ft in elevation.

Thanks in advance!

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

A good possibility might be YMCA of the Rockies in Estes Park. I don't know the costs. But there are many cabins to choose from, cafeteria available if needed, beautiful scenery, right at Rocky Mountain National Park, lots of activities either organized or self organized. Some decent restaurants in town, great hiking, fishing, and huge elk just wandering the grounds of the YMCA and in town.

It's a good place.

Jason Delso
    BPL Member

@zencarver

Locale: DFW

Lake City, CO might do the trick. I've stayed there a few times with friends and family.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

What's "affordable" mean to you?

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Joseph,

You might try the Big Sandy Lodge in Wyoming. It's definitely not a yuppie place. It's rustic (there's no electricity) and it's somewhat remote. It borders the Bridger Wilderness, and it's 1.5 miles from the Continental Divide Trail–so there's nearby access to the backcountry for those who want to head out for backpacking or rock climbing (it's only 10 miles from there to the Cirque of the Towers). I stayed there a couple of years ago the night before heading out for a backpacking trip. You can fish right out the front door, and there's lots of other excellent fishing in very close proximity to the lodge. There's horseback riding, too.

http://www.big-sandy-lodge.com/

joseph peterson

@sparky

Locale: Southern California

Affordable means no catered meals or marble bathrooms :).

I'd say not more than up to 200$ a night for smaller sized cabins, rustic is ok. 7 or 8 families 35 (plus and minus a few) people total.

I have stayed at that estes park ymca probably 18 years ago, was pretty cool.

That sandy bar place looks bitchin'

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools