Topic

GermX hand sanitizer for alcohol stoves

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear GermX hand sanitizer for alcohol stoves

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    James Ennis

@jimennis

Locale: South

Just wondering if anyone has used GermX as a source of fuel for their alcohol stove? I’ve used it to start fires, especially with wet wood, but haven’t had a chance to use it in a stove yet.

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

Not for alcohol stoves, but I’ve used Purell hand sanitizer instead of lighter fluid in my wood gasifier stove. It works better with magnesium shavings sprinkled on top, but either way it started my fire–well, that and the petroleum jelly coated cotton ball. Of course Zippo is a no brainer.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Jim,
    All the sanitizers are 35 to 40 percent water. The rest is ethanol, but the efficiency is very low… like Sterno. Pure alcohol is the more efficient fuel.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools