Topic

Zions National Park East Rim – Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Zions National Park East Rim – Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Does anyone know if there is camping anywhere along the East Rim in Zions National Park? From what I understand, one can camp above Echo Canyon in an area called Stave Spring.

Any perspective would be really appreciated. Thanks,

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The park website says: "This area has no established campsites but does require a permit." I take this to mean that, unlike the West Rim, so long as you have a permit you can camp anywhere. Makes sense given how little traveled it is by comparison.

The whole stretch near Stave Spring ought to have good camping, if my memories from dayhiking by years ago is accurate.

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks Dave!

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

And there's a reason it's little traveled………..BORING. A walk down an old forest ROAD in underwhelming @ 50 year old pines from the look of it; The age of the pines that is; with no views until you hit the last couple miles and begin going down the rim. I hate to be dismissive about a trail but in that "target rich" environment it just seems like It'd only be honest to offer the opinion that the East Rim Trail is a waste of a good day unless you live in Springdale and have walked the others about 6 times each. Or maybe for access to climbing routes?

David Ure

@familyguy

I thought that might be the case. I have done the Trans Zions Trek without the East Rim and thought I might add it in.

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I agree largely. Let it be known that they are rebuilding the east rim trails to make them more interesting.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Any idea of what they are doing/changing to improve them?

David Ure

@familyguy

Since a few of us are flying in, I am trying to extend the trip a day. Especially when we are coming from cold Canada…..

….any other suggestions for a second day? Are there any decent climbs in the east rim?

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

David. How many days are you looking to stay in the park? Are you backpacking? Have you been there before? You are wanting to climb? Zion is loaded with rock climbing. Do you mean hiking "climbs"?

The trail crews are working on a reroute of the trail that goes to Cable Mountain. I think that it'll have more views than it had before.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools