Topic

JMT Hiking Partners Wanted

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips JMT Hiking Partners Wanted

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    lisette walker

@lisette1

I have room for three people leaving from Tuolumne Meadows (Lyell Canyon) to Whitney Portal on July 24th. I backpacked the JMT in 2007 and 2009. Getting older & slower so expect about 10 miles a day. Anyone interested please contact me for more details.

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

This is the route a small group and I wanted to do this summer, but a few of those married guys' wives (that don't hike) have become rather resistant to that idea…

So – more details, please! PM me, if you like. (FYI your box is not setup for PMs)

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Lisette –

Hope you don't mind if I divert your thread a bit. If so, say so and I'll delete the post, no problem.

We plan to do the second half of the JMT a little later in the year at about that pace. What do you plan to do for resupply after MTR?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I am solo starting at Rush Creek starting on July 25th and exiting over Bishop. I don't mind loosely hike with others. Just throwing that out there. Also I will be at VVR on July 28th-29th and back on the trail again heading south. I will be exiting on Aug. 3rd BTW

Listette, it sounds like we will be bumping into each other on the trail due to you starting the 24th at Tuolumne. Pm me

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

You guys better get your BPL bumper stickers to put on your backpacks, so you can recognize each other.

–B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

easier way. Just look at others packs (wink!)

Brandon Lee

@ikaikalee

hello all!
    This will be my first time hiking JMT with a friend of mine. Just was seeing if there would be a couple more people interested in doing this with us.
    We're both outgoing guys from San Diego looking for someone awesome adventuresome partners to hike this amazing trail with.

Let me know if anyone is interested!

Thanks!
    Brandon

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I am possibly interested. I'll pm you.

Mickye Adams

@howdy

Locale: East Bay Hills

Hi, I'm solo hiking from Yos valley 8/1 and hope to finish in 15-16 days. I will drive my car to Whitney Portal from SF bay area on 7/31 and need transportation to Yos Valley. I could drive someone back to SF area on 8/17 or to WP on 7/31. Anyone interested? How hard/safe is hitching from WP to YV? The public transportation looks like it will take 2 days and I only have one. Thanks, allSierra Storm
    Howdy

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Hitching a ride is very likely, but lots of drivers will be picky about the sort of riders that they pick up. Fortunately, at Whitney Portal lots of people look that way. If you have a tiny pack that looks like it will be easy to load into the vehicle, that is a big plus.

Hitchhikers always do better if they have a white sheet of paper with their desired destination written in big letters so that it can be seen by a driver from a hundred feet away. Fold that around a piece of cardboard so that you can display it well.

Lots of hitchers will stand directly at the Whitney Portal trailhead. Others stand just below the overflow parking lot (lower on the hill). Sometimes you can get a ride only to Lone Pine. That is a start. Then on US395, you might pick up another ride heading north.

I met a JMT hiker on the Whitney summit one year, and that was his tenth day from Yosemite Valley. Five hours later, we were at Whitney Portal, and he hitched a ride with me back to the Bay Area that same evening.

–B.G.–

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools