Topic

Winter ISPO 2011: Day 3 – A Smorgasbord of Worldly Flavors

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Winter ISPO 2011: Day 3 – A Smorgasbord of Worldly Flavors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

This jacket uses hydrophobic down, which is made with a coating process that Berghaus helped develop. The down takes longer to collapse when wet, and has a much faster drying time. In field recovery (ie, not using a machine to dry) is up to 80% of loft, whereas untreated down only recovers to 50%. Berghaus will continue to develop this technology and hopes to be able to use it with higher fill power down in the future.

more details would be much appreciated …. sounds interesting … wonder if the fill power is IDFL tested, what the fill power is at different humidities, and if the coating wears away with washing

on a side note … im wondering if those kinky nylon wide grid mesh shirts and stockings they sell at XXX stores would have the same affect as those $$$$ mesh base layers … hmmmm

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Eric, I think the down is from genetically altered geese hatched from Goretex eggs.

–B.G.–

Hendrik Morkel
    BPL Member

@skullmonkey

Locale: Finland

The right link for Nordic Outdoor: http://www.nordicoutdoor.co.uk/

Arapiles .
    BPL Member

@arapiles

Locale: Melbourne

"This product is available in certain countries, but very likely none that you live in, and therefore the price is also irrelevant. The weight is unknown as well. Very helpful, we know!"

Interesting attitude for a site with so many international members, inlcuding Japan and Australia which are countries which, according to Alpinist's website, they export to:

http://www.alpinist.co.kr/

There are two versions, 120 x 200 and 160 x 200

Price = 23,000 Won/USD 20 & 33,000/USD 30

http://qook.njoyny.com/ctg/front/item_detail.jsp?cid=danawa&item_id=8053498

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

D W – That may not have been the best method to vent our frustration about how little information is available from reps. Thanks for bringing that to our attention. We sometimes struggle with how to report on the availability of products to our international readers.

Thanks to non-US based members for voicing your interests. BPL is a better, stronger community because of that.

At the end of the day we have little time to scour the internet for more information so thank you to everyone whose comments include web links and further information.

Ben Wortman
    BPL Member

@bwortman

Locale: Nebraska

Does anyone know if you can get that pad in the US? I tried the their site, but I can't read Korean to know what I am looking at.

John Fitzpatrick
    BPL Member

@grumpyhighlander

Locale: Southwest

I have used the Millet shoe on the CDT.

I cannot recommend this to others as it is designed to be a bathtub for your feet, the design lets in water through the mesh top and won't allow it to escape due to the bathtub rand that encompasses the shoe. Even walking through the early morning dew on the grass causes them to start filling up with water.

If they were to make this with a gor-tex type upper it would make a great hard wearing shoe.

The lacing system is what suckered me to buying them, it's a great feature that I would like to see more of.

After 200miles+ they were still going strong but driving me crazy! I sent then home and bought others. Millet make great products but this one needs some attention.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I was wondering if fishnet underwear would reappear. It was all the rage in the early 1970's, before the synthetics appeared. Colin Fletcher reports wearing fishnet in the military during WWII. Will it catch on again?

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Hi Ben – We returned to Alpinist today. They don't have a distributor in the US per se, but they do have a business associate in San Diego. As soon as we get that contact info, we'll post it here.

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

John – What was the reason for wearing the Millet Radikal Speeds on the CDT? It seems like it would be too stiff for long distance hiking.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I was wondering if fishnet underwear would reappear. It was all the rage in the early 1970's, before the synthetics appeared. Colin Fletcher reports wearing fishnet in the military during WWII. Will it catch on again?"

It's still popular among some outdoor enthusiasts. Brynje has been making it for years – they're stuff is sold through Reliable Racing in Queensbury, NY. The interesting thing about the newest entry, to me, is that it's wool. Don't believe Brynje's stuff is wool.

Drowned Lemming
    BPL Member

@lemming

Brynje is polypro, while Aclima's Woolnet is wool (they also make a polypro version, Coolnet). It's been around a while, just not really available, or known about, outside of Norway.

And unlike a lot of manufacturers, Aclima is still made in Norway.

John Fitzpatrick
    BPL Member

@grumpyhighlander

Locale: Southwest

Danny

I'm starting to suffer from bruising on the base of the foot due to what I believed to be lack of stone guard in some of my lighter shoes. I have managed close to 30 miles in a day and sometimes over 40 miles and have been looking for a better option of shoe that fits and will provide enough stiffness, I live in Durango CO and the trails are always rocky. I also think that on a personal level my feet are just starting to wear out and I don't want to admit that I should be slowing down over 40. I have had good luck with La Sportiva Ultranords GTX but they break down after 300 miles and the cleats start coming through the mid-sole and pressing on the balls of my feet. I'm cheap and don't want to keep buying them. plus they are no longer available. I'm looking to try the Crosslite and Crossover this year and I have my eye on some Garmonts. It's a constant challenge.

peter vacco

@fluffinreach-com

Locale: no. california

It's still popular among some outdoor enthusiasts. Brynje has been making it for years – they're stuff is sold through Reliable Racing in Queensbury, NY. The interesting thing about the newest entry, to me, is that it's wool. Don't believe Brynje's stuff is wool.

10 yrs ago we went thru a fling with Brynje netting zip-t's as an anti mosquito layer under a nylon or poly-cotton shirt. it worked very well, and was the coolest running setup of that time.

looks a little weird on you (me, actually) if you're (again .. me) fat though.

brynje. nice stuff. better on top that on the bottoms.

v.

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Yeah, I'd like to test the CoolNet and WoolNet clothing out. I do have questions about getting sunburned though!

Mark Roberts
    BPL Member

@redwedge

Locale: Lapland

I did a review of the WarmWool hoodie here:

http://backpackingnorth.blogspot.com/2011/01/gear-talk-aclima-warmwool-baselayer.html

It is, as you might expect, best suited for very cold conditions.

M

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools