Topic

Calibrating a new digital scale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Calibrating a new digital scale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Many BPL people use a small digital scale to weigh their new equipment items. Many such scales have an auto-zero feature upon startup. However, to determine the linearity of a new scale, I wanted to measure some standards.

Toward the low end, a standard new U.S. Quarter coin weighs 5.670 grams. Mine passed that OK.

Now I'm looking for some standard closer to one pound (the top end for this scale). Any suggestions, besides a roll of quarters?

A pound of some food item is very inaccurate, because there are unknown wrappers involved.

–B.G.–

Stephen Bodiya
    BPL Member

@stephenbodiya-com-2-2

Locale: Michigan

If you have an accurate way of measuring 16 fluid ounces of water, you could zero a container on the scale, add 16 fluid ounces of water and it should weigh approx 16.64 ounces.

I got approx 16.64 by using:
    70*F water weighs 8.329 lbs per gallon. A quick google conversion gives approx 1.04 oz per fluid oz. So 16 fluid oz of water weighs approx 16.64 ounces (depending on how much you round the earlier conversions).

I don't know if this really helps since now the problem is finding an accurate measurement for 16 fluid ounces and I'm not sure the accuracy of a standard 1 cup measuring cup.

-Steve

edit:
    I wonder if zeroing the scale (not knowing the exact bowl weight) for this experiment is problematic. It seems that it should still give you a good idea and wouldn't really make a difference unless the scale had an extremely non-linear relationship. i.e the heavier the item the larger % error.

James S

@hikinnc

Try a 1 lb fishing weight.

Christopher Taggart

@penndude

Locale: Western PA

Buy something at the grocery that requires them to measure the weight. Their scales have to be calibrated. Compare at home.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I think the one-pound fishing weight sounds best, because it won't change much over time. Food would change over time.

I have a friend who runs a lab with a calibrated scale, and I can get the one-pound fishing weight checked there.

I'll head off to the fishing tackle store to look for a lead weight.

–B.G.–

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Water and a graduated cylinder should let you know if it is close. 1 liter= 1 kilo, etc. A Nalgene will give you a good guestimate. You can buy calibrated weights too. Personally, I would just give it a rough check with a Nalgene and go from there. As cheap as they are, they do a good job.

James S

@hikinnc

That's what I used, Bob. No guess work, no modifying, no issues with durability or weight fluctuation, and it's cheap (and multi use).

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Well, I was going to recommend a platinum-iridium cylinder, but it sounds like a silicon sphere may be more accurate.

Overkill?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools