Topic

MYOG: 3mm Plastic Tarps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable MYOG: 3mm Plastic Tarps

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Ronald Probst

@dwarfstar

For those who, like me, don't make their own gear, this approach is useful to "prototype" manufacturers' shaped tarps. I'm just at the height where reviewers say "taller people may find this setup confining" so I like to "try before I buy". Manufacturer dimensions plus BPL review measurements, and a little geometry, enable a layout on sheet plastic. Straight lines and flat panels are good enough for this "fit check". These have just been backyard try-outs, but enough to eliminate a couple of purchases that I probably wouldn't have been happy with, and find out what works for my height even if it's heavier.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Another thing you can try, is to just have twine where the ridgeline and corners are to get an idea if it's big enough,

easier than doing a plastic sheet

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

As Jerry suggests, I use very thin sewing thread if I want to know how the dimensions will come out when I start with a new project.

This is a picture of the front-extension I was going to make for my GoLite Lair 1. I hope the thread is visible.

Avance Lair 1

Edit: to have a bit more contrast in picture – as I supposed, the lines where hardly visible (hope it's better now).

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Exactly – I can see the threads – nice picture

Mariano Barrera

@bcm4066

thanks for taking the time to share this.

i work in construction so i have miles of that line! and i'll be replacing my tent strings for this..

i'll def try the 3 mil plastic shelter… ! thanks again

Michael Witteveen
    Spectator

@wittefish

I've used 3M packing tape, but prefer Tyvek Tape if available. That stuff is pretty much permanent, just make sure you stick it in the right place the first time, it doesn't like to let go!

James Montgomery

@jmontgomery

Locale: Shasta County

This is a very cool article. Nice to know there are other cheap/light freaks out there. I use a piece of plastic (8×12 in the winter) and drape it over a tautline, as shown above, only I leave 3-4 feet on the ground for a ground cover. Big rocks hold the ground cover in place, and the two corners on the other side of the line get tied out with sheet bends- or sometimes just held down with rocks. Under 4 ounces in 3 mil, according to the math above. One of these days I should weigh mine.
    Not a perfect cover, but it will get you thru a storm. Yeah, you need to think about where you set up camp, but that's just good sense. Most of the time I would rather look at the stars, anyway, and the plastic is just a ground cover.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

That's funny, I figured this subject was so lame nobody would be interested : )

James Montgomery

@jmontgomery

Locale: Shasta County

Quite the opposite. Consumerism is lame. Good gear is important, but campcraft rules!
    By the way, I've been at this awhile, and a lot of what I read seems written by tenderfeet. Thanx for a competent article.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

The other thing is people's comments – lots of other ideas as good as the article

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools