Topic

MYOG Material Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Material Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    William Johnsen
    BPL Member

@sixoclocknews

I'm just starting to get into the MYOG so I'm not exactly sure what I'd like that isn't currently offered. But I think that if you offered the same stuff as other vendors at the same (or less) price in addition to some exclusive things it would encourage people to 'one stop shop' esp. with free shipping.

2nds fabric seems fine as long as it's something that doesn't weaken it in some way (like another poster mentioned, color or something). I'd also be really interested in some 3 layer eVent.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

I have an opportunity to pick up some discounted materials.

Materials:

I can get some Nylon 6,6 Double Silicone Coated Silnylon in a Navy color that has been heat slit to 63" wide. This means the edges are cut for you.. The material is considered a first quality material with no weaving or coating flaws but overtime the color will migrate to a lighter color. This is much better quality material then "Seconds" since most seconds have weaving flaws or coating flaws. The material should retail between $10-$12 a yard but due to the color migration I am able to purchase it at a discount. The material has a finish weight around 1.4-1.5oz and will work good for tents, tarps, tipis, mids, ponchos, rain jackets, pack covers, stuff sacks, hammocks, and anything else you can think of. I plan to sell this material for $6.50 a yard.

I can get some Nylon 6,6 70D Ripstop in a Charcoal Grey Color that is 60" wide. The material is first quality and was an overrun at the mill so its perfect condition. A material like this retails between $6 – $8 a yard but due to it being an overstock I am able to purchase it at a discount. The material has a finish weight around 2.2oz and would work good for tent floors, bivy floors, medium weight tarps, lightweight packs, stuff sacks, and anything else you can think of. I plan to sell this material for $4.00 a yard.

I can get some TX07 2.97oz (weight on my scale) Xpac in a medium grey that is 54" wide. The material is first quality and in perfect condition. This material sells for $9.25 directly from the mill but it's discounted because its sold as "odds and ends" which means most the rolls are between 5-8 yards long. This material has a 70D face fabric, dyed uv resistant face fabric, X ply at 22degrees, and then is laminated to a .25mil pet film. It works great for backpacks. I plan to sell this material for $6.50 a yard.

I am working on finding some oxford and packcloth.

I am interested to know if any of these materials are of interest.

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Locale: Denver

"I inquired about this stuff a month or so back. Your talking $60.00 a yard with a 500 yard minimum at the mill. I am not sure where Dan McHale is getting it but from what understand thats about the "standard" price."

I guess that explains why it's so hard to get ahold of. But, if you're looking for something to make you stand out from other suppliers, that would do it since you can't buy it anywhere else. I'd be willing to buy enough yardage for a pack, even at that price.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Lawson,

All of the above!

See my recently posted thread on BPL.

Party On,

Newton

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Lawson,
    Saw your comment to Roger; but it is kind of ridiculous when I have 5 year old silnylon that is twice as water resistant than anything I can find new.
    We are continually presented with bargains; but almost all of them turn out to be no better than many other available fabrics, and frequently worse.
    If i knew where I could get silnylon as good as the older stuff I have, I would buy from that supplier consistently.

It would also be nice to find a coated polyester under 2 ounces/sq/yd that is water resistant enought for tents.

Someone should also be selling better quality carbon tent poles – the materials are out there.

And if I could find the lightest denier eVent, I would buy some to make a rain smock.

Have some of the sil coated 1.9 oz nylon coated on one side, but I think many would buy it for slightly heavier applications if it were around. I use it for ruggeder stuffsacks that are much easier to work with, and am thinking pack.

So those are just some thoughts – nothing exotic.

Javan Dempsey

@jdempsey

Locale: The-Stateless-Society

1. Exotic closures:

YKK Aquaseal or RiRi Aquazip (did I get that backwards?) zippers
    omni-tape that's less than 1" wide (like the stuff quest sells, not the crappy "velcro" brand stuff)
    Nexus Wavelocs

2. Large spools and/or cones of high quality (preferably bonded) nylon and poly threads, not just the normal generic gutterman all-purpose type.

I'm sure I'll think of some other things.

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

Hey Samuel,

Where did your 5 year old sil-nylon come from and where have you been looking lately?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Lawson,
    It came from Quest Outfitters, but that was five years ago.
    The stuff they have now is OK, but pretty much standard for the best I've found here in the US, Suter testing at around 15 kPa when the water starts to penetrate. This subject is discussed by Roger in the most recent MYOG thread on silnylon.

Since I make tents only as a hobby for self and friends, I have enough of the older stuff for a project or two more, but that is all.

I started getting frustrated about silnylon in 2005 when I was almost finished with a very difficult tent – a real labor of love (or obsession, depending how you look at it). Decided to squeeze a little water through the silnylon, and discovered that it required very little pressure to do so. So ordered the stuff from Quest, and got some from Warmlite also, both of which required a lot more squeeze before water drops came through. Not very scientific, and I got ragged on a bit on this site about that, but Suter testing later showed that the Quest was indeed much more water resistant than the silnylon I started with (That was from OWF, and also had the "wet look" Roger talks about, but so did many if not all the silnylons available then.)

I did have very good luck using Thru-Hiker's black silnylon purchased last year for a floor, and posted about it the end of last August, but Suter testing showed that it was not in the same league with the older stuff from Quest. Although it rained constantly for 10 days, the T-H floor was exposed to more sheltered sites, and not pitched on puddles or anything like that.

So I will use up the older stuff, and hope that material with better coatings becomes available to MYOGers here in the US, because I really enjoy dreaming up tents and making them and flies for myself and close friends.

Lately, I've been looking just about everywhere, but with no success. So I agree with Roger, if I understand him correctly, that the quality of material that was once available here is no longer. As with many other products we seek for backpackinglight, there are a lot of nice sounding claims out there, but living up to those claims is another matter entirely.

So I sincerely wish you good fortune should you quest for good materials.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I can get some Nylon 6,6 Double Silicone Coated Silnylon in a Navy color
    Pressure rating? (measured!) Source?

> I can get some Nylon 6,6 70D Ripstop in a Charcoal Grey Color that is 60" wide. T
    Coating? Pressure rating?

> I can get some TX07 2.97oz (weight on my scale) Xpac in a medium grey that is 54" wide.
    Good stuff!

Cheers

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

#5 YKK waterproof zippers with single sided pulls!

I'd be stoked to see another store selling outdoor fabrics, especially if it's a "one stop shop".

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I would like some CT1K.18 Cuben – 0.75 ounce per yard2 – heavier mylar, light spectra – for tent/bivy floor – can't get that anywhere else.

Something that differentiates you from competition is the complete description – 6,6 nylon, specs, how to use it – other suppliers tend to be somewhat vague

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools