Topic

Need zipper sliders for REI Shuksan

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Need zipper sliders for REI Shuksan

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Folks,
    I have an XXL REI Shuksan and the zipper sliders have both completely pulled off the bottom of the zipper past the stop. I'm interested in fixing this myself. It appears to be a YKK zipper. Does anyone know how I would go about finding either an exact match for the Shuksan or another YKK replacement?

I'm intrigued because I have two Shuksans, and the zippers are different. The one that is broken is a standard zipper and the other is a pseudo-waterproof zipper.

This image shows the broken zipper (that I need help in replacing):

Shuksan 2

And this one shows the pseudo-waterproof zipper (what are these called?)
    Shuksan 1

Did they change the design from one year to the next?

Thanks!

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

"Did they change the zipper design from one year to the next?" I think they probably did. When I researched the Shuksan the MAJOR complaint was the hard to use waterproof zipper. It resulted in massive returns on the jacket. I know somebody makes a field repair kit for zippers -but I think its for tent zippers. Somebody like Sierra Designs …? Check the inventory at a bigger place like Campsaver. And Good luck!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

owfinc.com or questoutfitters.com have a bunch of different zippers and helpful people

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"I have an XXL REI Shuksan and the zipper sliders have both completely pulled off the bottom of the zipper past the stop. I'm interested in fixing this myself."

I assume you know that since it is REI all you have to do is send it back for a replacement? REI is solid when it comes to standing behind their product.

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Greg, REI has been great in standing by their products. This jacket was purchased at their garage sale, making it well worth investing some of my time to fix the zippers.

I ended up finding the zippers at owfinc.com, as recommended here. Thanks to all!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools