Topic

6.64oz Climashield-COMBAT Bivy Liner/Quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 6.64oz Climashield-COMBAT Bivy Liner/Quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

6.64oz Climashield-COMBAT Bivy Liner/Quilt –

I made this Quilt to be a Liner for my Pertex Quantum Bivy. I was worried that my Polarguard Delta Quilt/Tunic might not be warm enough for my Oct Hike. I have just the edges to run some home made Silk bias tape around and I am finished. The weight of this Quilt will be at or just a little over 7 ounces. This Quilt will slide into my Bivy first and then I will get in with the PG – Delta Quilt. That is if the temperature is below 55 degrees.

I need to do the Math on the Clo business yet. The CS-Combat Clo is a little more that the Clo for the PG-D. The weight of the insulation is about the same for both so I should end up with a total Clo a bit over 3 when I use them together.

Bivy laying on Climashield Combat as a pattern to cut the insulation.

Dying the Silk for the Quilt

Getting ready to cut the Silk.

Pinning the Silk to the insulation getting ready to sew.

New CS-Combat Quilt laying over the Bivy.

Richard Nisley
    (richard295 – M) SUBJECT Re: Climashield – COMBAT – Quilt ON 09/28/2006 22:09:38 MDT POST REPLY
    Bill-Your quilt liner will result in a total clo value up to .3 – .5 higher than the total of the two insulated items. This is a result of the air trapped between the liner and the quilt, assuming the girth of your bivy doesn’t compress the quilt / liner.

Even a silk liner sheet (.04 clo), without insulation, will provide this incremental air space insulation of .3 – .5 clo.

Edited by richard295 at 09/28/2006 22:12:36 MDT.

====

Bill Fornshell
    (bfornshell – M) SUBJECT Climashield – COMBAT – Quilt ON 09/28/2006 23:17:38 MDT POST REPLY
    Some number to throw around.

The current Quilt weight is 7.0088 ounces.

This will go up a small amout when I sew the silk bias tape on the edges of the Quilt tomorrow. I have a bit of trimming to do yet and I may be able to hold the Quilt weight to 7 ounces.

The total sq yardage for the Quilt is 1.97 sq yards.

The weight of the Climashield Combat to cover that area is 4.85 ounces. This gives me an average sq yardage for the CS-Combat of 2.46. The 5 yard sample of CS-Combat had a extra thin layer sort of stuck on it. I thought about removing this to get closer to the 2 ounce per sq yard but it would not release easy. I just left it on and the weight came out higher. The good side of this is more insulation per sq yard and a warmer Quilt.

Clo: The clo for CS Combat is not released anywhere but I have been told it was higher the PG-Delta. To keep things simple I am using the PG-D clo of .68. The weight per sq yard of the CS-Combat is 2.46 times (PG-D clo) .68 to give me a number of 1.67. I know this is a low number but that is OK.

The clo number for my PG-Delta Quilt was 1.50.

Adding the clo for the 2 Quilts together gives me a total clo number of 3.17.

Taking Richard number of .3 I get an add-on number of .95. If I am doing this right I add that to the 3.17 and end up with a new total clo number of 4.12. I know this may be a “best case” number but with that high a number I should be good to somewhere below 40 (F) degrees.

Testing will give me a better answer to all this. I don’t expect it to be that cold next month while I am in Georgia but it might get down to around 45 (F) degrees. My plans are to go back up to Georgia in Dec 2006 or Jan – Feb 2007. I want to do a longer hike and more testing in some colder weather. I may as far north as the Smokies to find colder weather.

Edited by bfornshell at 09/28/2006 23:21:23 MDT.

====
    29 Sep 2006

I have finished my Climashield Combat – Bivy Liner/Quilt.

The final weight is 6.64 ounces. I trimmed it a bit to fit inside the Bivy better and the sq yardage came down to 1.77 sq yards.

I used it as a Quilt last night and slept under it. I wanted to see if it was big enough to use as a stand alone Quilt. It will be large enough and I was very warm under it.

I am about to sew a set of loops and hooks into my Bivy so I can connect the Liner to the inside of the Bivy.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I have finished adding loops and hooks to my Pertex Quantum Bivy. The pictures show the Climashield Combat Liner/Quilt hooked into the Bivy.

The Hook and Loop system works well. I have been in and out of the Bivy several times. It should work well with me also in my PolarGuard Delta Quilt/Tunic if it is cold enough to need both.

The weight of the Bivy went from 2.82 ounces to 3.0 ounces with the hook and loops added.

The only thing I have left to do now is test the system for it low temperature range.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I spent last night in my 6.64oz Climashield-COMBAT Bivy Liner/Quilt. I was on the Benton Mackay Trail camping at the Toccoa River Bridge. It got down to 42 degrees by morning. I was OK in my Climashield-COMBAT Bivy Liner/Quilt inside my Pertex Quantum – Cuben Fiber Bivy. I woke up once with cold feet after I slid down my pad and my feet went off my pad. I re-arranged my sleeping pads and added my Cuben Footies and another pair of socks. I was wearing my Patagonia #2 wool crew and bottoms. I also had on a wool watch cap and my Possumdown gloves. I think this combination is good down to 40.

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Bill, hey there. The climashield is a 60″ roll width correct? But most quilts are longer, yours included. Looking at the pictures it looks like you cut your piece 60″ long and pieced on another? Did you do this to maximize your yardage for other projects? What is the reasoning for not cutting a single piece 72″ long using the length of the insulation instead of the width? Thanks, Jhaura

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Jhaura,

I only have a 5 yard sample of the Climashield Combat and I cut it that way to maximize my yardage as much as I can. I really like this insulation so I want to stretch it out as much as possible.

I don’t know anyone retailing this product and If I want more I might have to buy a 60 yard roll if I can even buy it.

The Quilt / Liner is 74″ long. I am 72″ long so it will go over my head a bit if I want it to.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I was looking on the
    Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics web site this morning. I needed to buy some of their Silk Weight Capilene. I noticed that they now sell Climashield Combat. When I called to order the SW Capilene I asked about the Combat.

It is 2 ounce per sq yard and sells for $10.50 a yard. If you buy 20 yards or more you get a 22% discount. This should be the same as the Climashield Combat I used for my light weight Bivy Liner / Quilt.

b d

@bdavis

Locale: Mt. Lassen - Shasta, N. Cal.

Bill,

That bivy liner/quilt is beautiful. The concept, design, workmanship and execution — down to the saffron yellow silk after dyeing is just inspiring, and it passed the field test.

You should send one to the Dalai Lama for testing in cold weather conditions. Maybe like the Rock Wren sleeping bag it could serve as both a sleeping system and a monk's outter layer? bd

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

Looking at this makes me want to sew. The weight savings is amazing. Even If I build it to my size I will save 8 ounces. Fantastic project.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools