Topic

Snowshoeing The Western Uplands Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Snowshoeing The Western Uplands Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I did a fun 3 day snowshoe trip last week and thought I would share it with you guys. The Western Uplands Trail is located about 2.5 hours north of me in Algonquin Provincial Park. It is quite busy in the summertime but not too many hike it in the winter. I planned for 4 days but ended up making good time (but still hard work!) on the last day and got out in 3 days. It was my first winter trip this year so it was nice to get out.

Trip Report

Video

Gearlist

Enjoy!

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

Awesome report, I really enjoy that kind of scenery. I hope to make it up to Algonquin soon myself. Do you paddle as well?

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I enjoyed the trip report and especially the video. Real winter backpacking is something I miss…

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Mathew, I paddle a couple times a year, but for the most part I hike. I used to go on at least one big canoe trip with my Dad every year and I only started hiking when I was old enough to go on my own. Now I take my girlfriend on the canoe trips when I can. She likes it better than hiking because she sits up front and suntans while I do all the work :)

John,
    Thanks. Winter is good fun up here. No crowds!

Philip Delvoie
    BPL Member

@philipd

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Great report Steven. I have not been up that way in the winter. Definitely on my to do list.

Ted Rosen

@trosen8231

Excellent report, photos and video. I started the exact route one day following your departure, although I was experimenting with a pulk I had constructed. The trough you created was a bonus, but still fresh snow made dragging the pulk very challenging. I've done this route with snowshoes and a pack in 3 days like you, but in generally better snow conditions. Next time I'll leave the pulk at home.

Congrats on a successful trip,

Ted

Matthew Marasco

@babymatty

Locale: Western/Central PA, Adirondacks

From the TRs and other pics I have seen of Algonquin, it seems very similar in terms of scenery and wildlife to the western Adirondacks, where I do lots of my hiking and paddling. It really looks like a paddler's paradise!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Philip,
    Its a fun trail in the winter. It was tough for me, but I admit, I've spent alot of time sitting at my desk this winter and really struggled on the 2nd day. :)

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Ted,
    The day after I finished the trail or the day after I started? Would have been great t o have some company at night. It was pitch black by 6:30 or so and I didn't have much to do but sit in my tent.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Matthew,
    Sadly I have yet to hike in the 'Dacks but it is definitely on my list. Up here we have TONS of interconnecting lakes and it really is a paddlers dream.

Ted Rosen

@trosen8231

Steve,
    I started the morning following your departure and just after the snow storm in Toronto, so I did have the "pleasure" of breaking trail in fresh snow. It would have been good to meet you on the trail if our schedules had overlapped. I plan to do another trip before winter is over.

Ted

Caleb Boyle

@calebb

Hi Steve,

I enjoyed the report and especially the photos. I was going to say that on your adventure page, you have the date listed as Feb 2010. Did you mean Feb 2011?

Caleb

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Ted,
    We just missed each other. I got my gear ready on Monday morning so that was the reason for my late departure. I was actually thinking of leaving Tuesday if I didn't get ready in time. You probably saw my little suzuki swift sitting at the trailhead. That fresh snow was good fun, but killer on the thighs!

Caleb,
    Glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the heads up, definitely a oopsie on my part. Fixed it now to read 2011. I'm famous for website mistakes (just look at the spelling errors) as I'm usually in a rush to get the pages updated, but I think it adds character. ;)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools