Topic

camo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) camo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jonathan hauptman

@6hauptman6

Locale: A white padded room in crazy town.

Does anyone know where I can find camo fabrics? I love camo clothing and gear, but trying to find simple, lightweight products made with synthetic materials is a pain. I want to use camo materials to make tarps, packs clothing, etc… I am looking for stuff like camo silnylons, nylon ripstop, etc… Does anyone have suggestions? Also, does anyone know where I could get some ideas or see pictures of other peoples camo projects?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

No direct experience but Sierra Trading Post carries camo attire and gear.

Joseph Rothstein

@joe_r

Seattle Fabrics has some camo fabrics, including nylon ripstop and fleece. Why do you want camo clothing and gear for backpacking?

J R

@ravenul

If your looking for just camo raw goods, your not likely to find much more than heavy nylon and fleece.

Silnylon, to my knowledge, isnt made in camo – though Im not sure why it couldnt be. You can get camo taffeta which you could probably seal with thinned silicone.

As for WHY someone might want camo items for sport backpacking – *I* use a good amount of camo or earth toned colored items because I like being “stealth” and because like the increased wilflife viewing opportunities, and because I DESPISE seeing people running around in bright primary and secondary colors looking like traffic cones in the woods. It ruins the illusion of solitude to look across the valley and see a long train of NEON glaring at you.

If your doing a more risky activity than backpacking, like say, mountaineering, by all means wear something visible, but backpacking just isnt enough of a threat to live in fear of “not being seen”.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/Camouflage.asp

RIPC+color 60″ 1.9oz Coated Woodland Camo – $5.30

RIPC+color 63″ 1.1oz lt Urethane coating Woodland Camo – $5.00

tkkn c
    BPL Member

@tkknc

Locale: Desert Rat in the Southwest

http://www.rockywoods.com/

Carries a bunch of different types of camo.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Jonathan,

I found some Digital Camouflage Nylon at Wal-Mart for a buck a yard (See attached sample).

Regards

Dig-Camo Fabric

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

I once talked the makers of silnylon into a camo test run. It didn’t work and they ended up with a
    batch of seconds. The trouble they said was running that light a fabric through the rollers several additional time for all the colors caused quality problems. Since they are making the fabric
    for life support uses, they couldn’t use the stuff
    that came out.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools