Topic

Coleman Powermax fuel container failure

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Coleman Powermax fuel container failure

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

During a power outage here in Virginia (all too common!) I pulled out my Coleman Xtreme and a half-full Powermax fuel container. I turned it on and nothing came out! I tried a number of other bottles and they all were fine.

Anyone ever have a failure like this? I contacted Coleman but have heard little from them.

Examining the bad bottle I see the o-ring in the orifice is chewed up. I wonder if a bit got shoved down and is clogging it.

What do I do now with a half-full worthless bottle of fuel? What if this had happened during a long trip (cold food, I guess…). Is this a common problem with Powermax fuel containers?

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I had an MSR 8oz cartridge fail this summer. The Lyndal valve wouldn’t work with either of my stoves. The cartridge was full and I could expel gas by pusing against they Lyndal value using a screwdriver blade.

It was three weeks before I reached my next food/cartridge drop. After this experience I vowed to check all cartridges before I head out on a trip.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> Anyone ever have a failure like this?
    This is very, very rare as far as I know.
    Sometimes people have a problem getting the canister to mate with the stove – that happens in very cold conditions mainly. Not sure why.

> Examining the bad bottle I see the o-ring in the orifice is chewed up. I wonder if a bit got shoved down and is clogging it.
    Would you be able to send me a close-up picture of this? My email is [email protected], and I am the Stoves Editor here.
    The ‘O-ring’ bit you are referring to is actually a neoprene washer bonded to the metal. The red plug in the middle seals against it.

If you take the canister OUTSIDE and give the red plug a poke with a BLUNT object, does any gas come out? But be VERY carefully if you try this – NO flames!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools