Topic

Seam seal X-Pac?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Seam seal X-Pac?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Wick
    BPL Member

@jerryw

Locale: Illinois

To anyone familiar with X-Pac, can the seams be sealed using the iron-on seam seal tape or does it need to be sealed like silnylon?

The inside layer doesn't seem to be like silnylon, but it's definitely slicker than the usual nylon or Cordura I've worked with. If I could just tape the seams of this new pack I made I wouldn't need to carry a pack cover anymore.

Thanks,
    Jerry

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I haven't tried it on Xpac before, but I think it will work. The inner liner is polyester taffeta. Maybe email one of the fabric suppliers to confirm.
    I usually use the flowable silicone just because it's easy to find and works well.

Ryan

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have taped the seams on my X-Pac for years.

I used a permanent-bond transfer tape and 70 d PU-coated nylon fabric for this.
    A tape such as 3M9485PC would suit, although I have used other transfer tapes as well.
    All my successful bonding has been done on the lining side. Bonding to the outer or face fabric has not been nearly as good. The DWR seems to block the adhesive.

I haven't used an iron-on tape, so I can't say whether it would work. However, I would certainly give it a go as I think (think) it should work.

Cheers

Jerry Wick
    BPL Member

@jerryw

Locale: Illinois

Thanks guys.

I hadn't even thought of a tape other than the iron-on type. I may end up going that direction.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

I have found that Permatex Flowable Silicone sealant adheres well to the PET (Mylar) on Cuben, so it probably would adhere well to the PET film on X-Pac as well. Not to bond, but just to seal thread-sewn seams.

Andrew Schriner

@lettheguydance

Locale: Midwest

I've had success with seam grip too, fwiw.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools