Topic

Cuben Fiber / Momentum 90 – Winter Shelter…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben Fiber / Momentum 90 – Winter Shelter…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

…also known as The Cuben Fiber I.H.P. (Irregular Hexahedronic Prism)

I thought about doing this for a looong time but never got around to it until now. I posted it on my website last week but I have since had it out for a few days and grabbed some much better pictures. Thought you guys might enjoy it.

Made from 0.74/oz cuben fiber and Momentum 90. CF is bonded with C3, Venture 1163, Lepage Fexible Plastic and M90 is sewn using the thread from thruhiker. Tips the scales at 9.8 ounces.

Everything you need to know about this beauty is in the link.

Cuben Fiber I.H.P.

And a teaser pic from earlier this week…

Cuben Fiber IHP

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Very interesting design

I too have found vents to be not very effective.

Have you tested your tent for condensation?

A vent that would actually be effective at minimizing condensation might be to leave the door open. That would work when it wasn't raining.

Since the Momentum isn't directly over you, you might stay dry when it rains. And since the Momentum is steeply sloped it should shed rain pretty good, might stay dry even in the vestibule.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Thanks Jerry. I have spent 3 nights in it so far. It is strong and sturdy – so no issue there. But I still get quite a bit of condensation on the cuben fiber parts of the tent. Of course, it doesn't drip because it's frozen but it is still there. The momentum isn't very bad at all, with barely anything on it. Kinda makes me want to make the entire tent out of it.

I'm beginning to think that, at least in my neck of the woods, a vent is useless. Even when I unzipped the door from the top (it's a 2way zipper) about 1/2 way, it still builds condensation. But being able to regulate the venting is nice though and I have no issue running my stove full throttle inside which really improves fuel efficiency.

As for the rain issue, winter's up here don't have rain. It's just too cold. Of course, I'm sure it would fair well for some light rain but I would bring a different shelter if temps were going to be close to or above freezing.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Thank you much for the tip about the Venture 1163. Hope you get rich.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools