Topic

AeroGel Garments (Will AeroGel ever replace down?)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion AeroGel Garments (Will AeroGel ever replace down?)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Chris Fillion

@smif

Locale: North-Western Ontario

Hi all,

After reading an article about the amazing material AeroGel and it’s insulative properties I thought “I wonder if an aerogel jacket would be lighter than down for the same warmth?”. I did a google search and found a company that makes a jacket with AeroGel but it doesn’t have a lot of information.. here are the links:

http://www.gzespace.com/AbsoluteZ.html
    http://www.gzespace.com/sales.html

AeroGel is the insulation used by NASA when they insulate uhh “space ships” :)

Apparently it’s pretty expensive so a jacket worth it’s “weight” might be a fortune but we ultralighters are known for sacrificing a lot of money to shave a few ounces ;)

Has anyone here heard of AeroGel used in any other garments?

Cheers,
    Chris

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I posted a number of links a while back. Take a look. I’m not exactly sure why there seems to be so little interest in the forums, but that could be because it is so expensive. Still, that never stopped anyone from using other aerospace technology for ultralight gear…

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

An Aerogel jacket of equivalent warmth will not be lighter than a high quality down jacket. Although the thermal conductivity of the best available Aerogel fabric (Spaceloft 6250) has .5x the thermal conductivity of the best down (twice as efficient for a given thickness), the density is 56x the best down. The Spaceloft density is high because in order to make the Aerogel resilient they inserted the crystals in the lattice of a woven fabric.

As an example, the Nunatak SkakaPlus in size medium provides a garment clo value of approximately 13.8 for a total weight of 9.6 oz and a fill weight of 5 oz. The same size jacket would need four layers of Spaceloft 6250 (.24″) to provide the equivalent warmth. The loft of the Aerogel jacket would be half that of the down jacket for the same warmth but the fill weight would be approximately 26.67x more.

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

New ‘flexible’ aerogel garment hits the market:

http://www.orosapparel.com/products/lukla-jacket-men

No weight given though…

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anyone know how the new polyimide film aerogels compare to high quality goose down on a weight basis? While ridiculously expensive, they are starting to become available to the general market.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools