Topic

Granite Gear Roll Top Mod?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Granite Gear Roll Top Mod?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

I've graduated past the size/beefyness of the nimbus meridian but loved the pack otherwise. (except the squeaky suspension!)

I'm looking at the vapor trail as a slightly smaller and definitely lighter next step.

However as many have griped here, and I noticed trying the pack on at REI, the extension collar is ABSURD! To the point where it would irritate me every time I tried to access anything in the pack. I can't imagine anything I would even put in there that wouldn't slouch down or flop around on my neck.

I've seen mention of people simply shortening this material and saving an oz or two. However, would this be an option to do a roll top ala the ULA Circuit? I'm thinking there might be an opportunity to add a vertical compression strap as well.

Just curious and exploring the potential here…any thoughts or photos would be awesome!

Thanks!

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

Hey James:

I shortened the extension collar on my granite gear ozone pack. It was super annoyingly long for me. If the closure system is the same on the Vapor Trail, and it looks like it is, then it should be similar. All I did was cut off about five inches of the collar, sew a channel in the new top of the collar, and put back in the draw cord. Easy peasy. Modifying it to be a roll top as on a dry bag should be a really easy mod, and would allow you to lose the buckles that go vertically and laterally across the top.

good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools