Topic

Attn: Glacier Gurus- hitchin to Polebridge?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Attn: Glacier Gurus- hitchin to Polebridge?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

If I take a train to W Glacier how easy is it to get to Polebridge with no shuttle svc? Should I plan on renting a chariot, or is hitchin feasible?

4people
    late AUG

My guess is getting there is not too bad, but getting back…

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Hitching with four people is tough under any circumstances.

That being said, here's my analysis: the direct route from West To Polebridge (through the park) will be primarily traveled by tourons who in my experience are less likely to pick up hikers. I think you'd have better luck if you were in north C Falls trying to hitch a ride. Of course, that requires being in C Falls.

I'd post an add on Craigslist or contract a shuttle service, unless you've got plenty of spare time.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

its been 14 years but the road back the from west glacier to polebridge was a washboarded winding gravel road and the locals liked it that way (fewer tourists) I would rent a ride. Polebridge is a neat little town not much there except a general store and a resturant/saloon made out of an old log cabin and private homes I hope it has not changed

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Thanks guys, Upon further brainstorming we realized we're only 10hr drive from W. GLA so we're gonna drive. Occham (sp) right?!?

The trip i put in for (sorta of a la Travis on his engagement trip) is: from Kintla up and over to Waterton and back. Miles- small; views- big; logistics- none!

thanks for the answers, doodz

Steve Scarborough

@zehnmm

Locale: southern New Mexico

I think that is a great idea. Moreover, I should like to put in a plug for the township of Waterton. I absolutely love this town! You might want to check into the feasibility of catching the boat at Goat Haunt to get to Waterton. You can most certainly hike from Goat Haunt to Waterton, but I vote for the boat.

FYI, there is camping virtually right in town that you can use if you want. Or, perhaps, treat yourself to staying at one of the hotels/motels. Of course, if you want to splurge, you could stay at the Prince of Wales Hotel right on the lake.

Enjoy!

Erick Brown
    BPL Member

@albertfan5

I am planning on doing a week long trip and beginning at the Kintla Lake trailhead in mid-august. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to get to the start of the trailhead? We only have one rental car and are ending near St. Mary's so we're going to have to find a ride up to Kintla. Any help would be appreciated!

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Shuttle in to Apgar. Hire a ride to Polebridge. Maybe catch a ride to Kintla, or plan on hiking the 16 miles to the lake. That one's pretty difficult. The road to Kintla is nasty and not really suitable for vehicles without a decently high clearance. I once got a Honda Accord (loaded with 5 people) down and out, but I'll never do it again. There just aren't too many people that go all that way because of road conditions.

You'd have a much easier time hitching in to Bowman Lake, but you may not want to start there.

Like Dave said, a Craigslist ad is probably your best bet.

Erick Brown
    BPL Member

@albertfan5

Thanks for the update…I guess we'll post an ad on Craigslist. If we just offered to pay someone near St. Mary's do you think they would drive us up to Polebridge if the price was right? Ever heard of people doing that before? Thanks again!

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Google northfork hostel, square peg ranch and john fredricks. He owns the hostel and some rental cabins and you can get his phone # online he lives in polebridge and possibly might find you a ride. Its been along time since Ive been up there but I bet you can get a park shuttle from saint marys to the west side then get someone on that side to get you up to polebridge.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Realistically, there's no reason to pay for a ride all the way from St. Mary. It will be faster than the park shuttle (only because you have to switch at Logan Pass, where there can be some lines), but traffic on the Sun Road is going to make it a long trip anyhow.

I'd just plan on it taking a good while to get across the pass and then pay for a trip from Apgar to Polebridge.

Erick Brown
    BPL Member

@albertfan5

Great; that sounds like our best bet…I will go ahead and post an add on Craigslist. The trip is still a ways out (late August), but I wanted to get a head start on this stuff. Thanks again for everyone's help!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools