Topic

containers for fuel alcohol

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) containers for fuel alcohol

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ryan

@sixguns01

Locale: Somewhere. Probably lost.

Dan-

Had same issue of alcohol dissolving he markings. I put a thin strip of Blue Painters Tape on the side and them put the markings for the ounces on that. So far so good.

Hope it helps

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Good idea Mark….great little community we have here.

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

I have this trick: at the bottle shelf, squeeze the air out of a bunch of them and screw the caps on tight. Go wander around REI and look at other stuff for a while. Come back and any bottles that have reinflated, ignore. Then do final checks on those that are still holding some vacuum.

Alcohol is very thin and will leak out if the seal isn't tight. Try to pack it so that it doesn't get squeezed, i keep mine in the pot with the stove. You can use a bottle that won't hold alcohol for thicker liquids like water, detergent, honey, sunblock, etc.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Alcohol may remove permanent marker ink, but I thought the alcohol and the marker ink were on different sides?

My experience has been that 'permanent marker' ink is fairly easily rubbed off PET bottle surfaces. It does not bond and is not permanent. This is actually a plus for the reliability of PET bottles.

Cheers

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Alcohol may remove permanent marker ink, but I thought the alcohol and the marker ink were on different sides?"

Normally, the alcohol is on the inside. Once in a while, a drop or two will migrate out onto the outside surface, mostly by spills. That may dissolve the outside ink markings.

I will scratch shallow lines into the outside of my bottle, and then I mark them with a black Crayola, which is more of a wax. The spilled alcohol has no effect on wax.

–B.G.–

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I've got the 8oz size and after a week in the container it's starting to look a little milky with some bubbles forming in the plastic on the inside layer. I'm using Crown brand denatured Alcohol. I thought this would be a great container for alcohol but I wouldn't want a failure on a trip. Perhaps I shouldn't store unused fuel in it after a trip.

Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Eric,

I went to check the rum runner I used for a trip 2 weeks ago. I'm having the same issue. Mine has leftover HEET in it. It worked great on the trip, but it looks like I will be switching to something else.

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools