Topic

PCT vs CDT

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I just wrote over 2,000 words with some of my thoughts comparing the two trails. If you'd like to read it, visit my website, http://www.outside365.com I've already thought of more that I'd like to add!

Cheers,
    Jack

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jack –

Thanks for the great article – I really enjoy your writing and particularly your experience on the trail from someone with the perspective of having hiked the PCT.

I have a few more questions – as you were mapping the CDT for Backpacker Magazine, were there any expectations/requirements that you hike one route over another? And as far as communications with the outside world, I found the PCT to be fairly cell phone friendly, allowing me at least to check in every couple of days with my wife and let her know that I was okay. Obviously the CDT is as if not more rugged in places – is there coverage out there or do you know?

Thanks again for the excellent article.

Dirk

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Thanks for sharing with us. Is there more coming on your CDT trip?

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

Thanks for the comments!

Dirk, Backpacker had no route expectations for me. They are very understanding of how thruhikes go, and especially understanding of the choose your own adventure aspect of the CDT. They consider the track that I collected to be "one thruhikers version of the CDT." Good dudes!

There's actually pretty good coverage on the CDT. Verizon is clearly the best. I often had cell coverage, especially when I was in Colorado and New Mexico. I general, I could guess the areas that would have no coverage. They're no surprises. Glacier, The Bob, Anacondas, Winds, Gila, etc Big wild areas…

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jack –

Thank you for answering my questions, greatly appreciated. I was glad to hear Backpacker was pretty open-minded when it came to route mapping, will those routes be available for download anytime soon from Backpacker.com?

I agree with Greg, I would love to hear more about your adventure and your thoughts on the CDT. I believe readers of BackpackingLight and your page would enjoy a thorough treatment of your experiences on the CDT. Certainly, the trail took you through some territory far from any significant metro centers, and therefore, these areas don't receive the same coverage as say, the JMT or the Sierra.

Keep up the great work. You are an inspiration to us all.

Dirk

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools