Topic

favorite loop trail in the U.S?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion favorite loop trail in the U.S?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

Locale: Ozarks

just curious about what everyone's favorite loop trail is. Trying to decide on a sub-7 day summer hike.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Trail around Three Sisters in central Oregon

about 45 miles and maybe 6000 feet elevation gain

no difficult stream crossings or anything

excellent scenery

if you go there this September you might see me

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

One of my favorites loops (more like a lollipop in shape) is in Olympic NP. From the town of Brinnon (on Hood Canal/east side of the park):

Follow the West Fork of the Dosewallips River up to Honeymoon Meadows, over La Crosse Pass, follow the Duckabush River up to Marmot and Hart Lake, over O'Neill Pass, over Anderson Pass and back.

This was a 5 night trip (4 nights backcountry, one at a campground b/c we got there in the late afternoon). On a map of the park, this loop looks laughably small but really shows how BIG the place is.

This is a nice loop for those in Seattle or Portland b/c of the east-side start/finish. Getting around to the Hoh Forest side takes a long time.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Tahoe Rim Trail – 168 miles. Easy logistics, resupply options, nice scenery. I could probably come up with a better one in the Sierras but you didn't say how many miles you're able/willing to do.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Four Pass Loop in Maroon Bells-Snowmass Wilderness.

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

Probably a loop around/thru the entire Sawtooths starting and ending at Redfish Lake

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Highline-Stoney Indian-Ptarmigan-Swiftcurrent in GNP.

Chris S
    BPL Member

@bigsea

Locale: Truckee, CA

Rae Lakes loop in Kings Canyon NP is quite nice.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/rae-lakes-loop.htm

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Wonderland Trail around Mt. Rainier? Hard to beat for spectacular and varied scenery. Not terribly "remote" in the sense of getting away from other hikers/campers, though.

Cheers,

Rick

Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

There are a ton of great loops in the Pasayten Wilderness of Washington. The area is vast and many trails link up. Choose your own adventure!

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I'm totally not answering this.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Hellroaring Trailhead in Yellowstone NP, up Coyote Creek Trail to the stock bridge in Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, back along Hellroaring Creek.

Misfit Mystic

@cooldrip

Locale: "Grand Canyon of the East"

I'm with Jack, no way I can answer this. It's like trying to name my favorite craft beer; I just start going around in circles in my head and end very confused and none the wiser.

It's raining here, so I'm going to spend the afternoon drinking micros and looking through old journals and photos. Maybe I'll have an answer later; I think however I'll probably just be intoxicated. ;)

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

I think Jack's going another direction!

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

Wonderland Trail, hand's down. The incredible scenery overwhelmes the minor disadvantages, e.g. too many people on certain sections, esp. on weekends.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools