Topic

Lee Vining & Lone Pine Motels

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Lee Vining & Lone Pine Motels

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

Would love some opinions on cheap, clean motels people can suggest in Lee Vining for a night and Lone Pine for a night to start and end my JMT trip this summer.

I have heard people like the Dow Villa in LP, but seems like there may be better options price-wise.

How about the Lee Vining Motel?

Any reviews would be much appreciated.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Best buy in town – the new Whitney Portal Hostel in Lone Pine. Clean. Cheap. Laundry on site. Stayed there twice. Think "Motel 6". I believe a shared 4-person room was like $22 per night.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/whitney-portal-hostel-lone-pine

Just a block north of the Dow Villa- where I've also stayed. The Dow is nice, but more expensive, has a pool, etc.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Bob is correct on the Whitney Portal….great place!

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

I stayed at the Murphy's Motel in Lee Vining one time and it was fine. Nothing fancy, but was clean.

One thing you have to do while in Lee Vining is eat at the Tioga Gas Mart and Whoa Nellie Deli (Mobile Station). It is absolutely outstanding. Below is a link

http://whoanelliedeli.com/

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Which direction are you headed?

I can understand a hotel room for the night that you finish, but for the night immediately before starting, I would think that you want to be sleeping closer to the trailhead elevation.

–B.G.–

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

+1 on Whoa Nelli Deli.

Go out of your way if you have to,
    Don't be put off by the Mini-Mart decor.
    The line(s) move fast.

The food…. oh yea!

Matt Jones
    BPL Member

@mjones

Just down the road from Lone Pine in Independence, I like the Courthouse Motel. They are very backpacker friendly, and the woman who runs the place is very nice. It is usually cheaper to stay there than some of the non-dormitory places in Lone Pine. In Lee Vining, I've stayed at the El Mono Motel a couple of times. It's a quirky no frills little place with excellent coffee.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

+2 on the Deli…that place is a diamond in the mountains. Fantastic food!

Kris Sherwood
    BPL Member

@tuskadero

Locale: Washington State

We are getting in to Lee Vining late and will head in to Yosemite Valley the following morning, spend the day there, stay in the backpackers campround and hit the trail at dawn the next morning.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Kris, do yourself a favor and eat at the mobile station on the corner of Hwy 395 and hwy 120, you won't be sorry!

When is your trip starting? I will be out starting July 24th just north of Yosemite, finishing my second leg of three

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

I wouldn't recommend where I stayed last year. I was searching for a room and the lady said this is the only one we have left. It is about 3 blocks from the actual motel. I knew I was in trouble when she ask did I want to see the room first and told me that she would have to show me where it was. Only room in town, so beggars can't be picky. The room is about one block off 395 on the opposite side of the Mt Whitney Diner. Unexpected humor from the trip..Motel room in Lone Pine

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I didn't wind up doing the JMT last summer as planned, but did go down to Yosemite for a few days just to check it out. I flew in to Reno and shuttled to Lake View Lodge in Lee Vining. They were nice, it's right next door to the small grocery store, and the Yarts bus picks up at their front door. It is basically the southern most building in town and you could even walk to the Mobile Station if you had time.

Also, I mailed my trekking poles and tent stakes ahead to avoid any hassle and the Lake View held them for me until I got there.

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

There are lots of hikers in these towns obviously. Just strike up a conversation with someone when out at dinner and youll have a lawn to pitch your tent in no time. Never fails.

James L.
    BPL Member

@jl

If you're south of Lee Vining the hostel in Lone Pine is a great place to stay run by great people. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Steve, PM sent, thanks.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools