Topic

$16 Kershaw Hawk knife at Big 5 stores

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals $16 Kershaw Hawk knife at Big 5 stores

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Big 5 is a chain of sporting goods stores in the Western US. They have some UL-useful items now and then– headlamps and knives, some close-out trail runners and such.

This week they have the Kershaw Hawk pocket knife for $15 and change. It's not a bad little knife. I wanted something really pocket-able, so I removed the pocket clip. 1.8oz/50g, 3-1/8" stainless blade, G10 handles, liner lock, lanyard hole, pocket clip. The long thin hollow-ground blade profile is an excellent one for food prep, much like an Opinel.

I did modify the handle a bit by scooping out the handle a bit with a Dremel tool so I can use the thumb stud easier—- the right angle edge on the stock knife doesn't leave enough room to get your thumb behind the stud.

Kershaw Hawk

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Wow this brings back memories. I worked at Big 5 in when I was still in college. They have steeply discounted shoes and occasionally have a decent trail runner from New Balance. You can usually get a great deal on some kind of sporting equipment, though no necessarily backpacking related. On a off note, as sales people they made us wear business clothing (including a tie!) because we prided ourselves in customer service since we only carried out-of-season style or lower end brands. I remember being 19 and thinking that dressing up was all fun and games until we had to offload the inventory truck.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools