Topic

Running Shorts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Corey Downing
    BPL Member

@hardcorey

Locale: Denver

Wearing running shorts and omitting underwear seems to be a popular choice around here and one I'm considering though I have some questions/reservations.

1. Do you wash them on the trail to handle the stink? How?

2. If temps call for extra warmth on the legs, do you just wear long underwear/running tights under them? Any recommendations on one vs the other?

3. Running shorts or swim trunks? Any reason to prefer one over the other?

Feel free to add in anything else you think relevant. I know this isn't the gear forum, but brand/style suggestions would certainly be appreciated.

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Locale: Denver

Right now, I wear Asics 2 in 1 running shorts. The inner liner is sort of a boxer brief style and is very thin and fairly snug fitting. Before I found these shorts, I had chafing issues on my upper thighs. Once I put these on, I never had any chafing again. They also have no zippers, so there is nothing to rub strangely under a hipbelt.

To answer your questions:

1. Yes, I wash them out daily. If I think I can do so in an environmentally sound manner, I will rinse them directly in a stream or lake. Otherwise (like if I have applied sunblock or deet to myself before or while wearing the shorts), I will bring a wash basin made of a cut-up Reliance water jug. Then I gather water and rinse the shorts out away from the water source. In any event, I don't use any soap. I bring 2 pairs of shorts so I can be wearing one pair while the other dries hanging from my pack. Then, before turning in for the night, I change into my "clean" pair. In the morning, I am already dressed for hiking, and can get on the trail right away.

2. Since the shorts have a liner, wearing long underwear or tights underneath isn't possible. I put light pants (BPL Thorofare) on top of the shorts. Works well for anything other than winter.

3. I think running shorts are generally lighter, better at moisture management, and better at reducing chafing, than swimsuits, but I am sure it depends on the specific model of each that you're comparing.

Hope it helps, and happy trails!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Christopher, thanks for the heads uop on those shorts. I have had miserable chaffing issues for sometime now. I will buy a pair of those and give it a shot!

Jacob Linton
    Spectator

@gardenhead

Locale: Western NC

I prefer shorts with no built in liner.
    95% of the time, I'm wearing just the shorts with no underwear, but I usually have a pair of Exofficios with me just in case for chafing.

If you're wearing shorts with a built in liner, then you are wearing underwear (liner), right?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools