Topic

Some new ski stuff

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Some new ski stuff

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

http://www.earnyourturns.com/1036/orw11-interest-in-tele-lite/

The return to NA distribution of the T-4 should be quite relevant for a lot of folks. The Garmont Excursion has previously been the only (non old stock) option in this highly useful category, and the T-4 promises to be significantly cheaper and to offer a better fit (the Excursion fits the club footed).

I'm also psyched on the proliferation of wide, waxless skis. They don't get much respect from the all about the down purists, but offer a lot of versatility for the less glamorous sides of skiing.

Nick Truax
    BPL Member

@nicktruax

Locale: SW Montana

Thanks for the link Dave. That's great news, esp the T4 as I've reverted to my old leathers due to lack of newer options. I look forward to those Scarpas!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Dave,

I looked at the Scarpa T4 photo at "Earn Your Turns" and for the life of me could not see the difference (besides minor cosmetics) between the T4 and my Scarpa T3.

IS there any difference??

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

There probably isn't much of a difference, if any.

My understanding is that as the T2 got bigger and taller (2 buckles, then 3, then beefier buckles) the T3 got beefier (stiffer plastic) and the T4 came along. Then the T4 went away, then the T3 disappeared from NA (but was still sold in Europe), and now the T4 is back. Why the T4 and not T3? Beats me.

The main differences between the T3 and T4 seem to be the presence of a powerstrap and stiffer plastic, or not. Hopefully the "new" T4 will be alot like the older T3, with a stiffish sole but flexible plastic in the ankle.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

David,
    Now that I look again my T3 you are right, my T3 DOES have the Velcro "power strap" above the top buckle. It gives me the option of a stiffer boot than the new T4 but only if I strap it tightly. Cool.

BTW, I just realized my T3 boots are the older, softer plastic, thankfully.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

>>>
    I'm also psyched on the proliferation of wide, waxless skis. They don't get much respect from the all about the down purists, but offer a lot of versatility for the less glamorous sides of skiing.
    <<<
    You think THEY don't get respect, try the guys who use touring skis that don't have medal edges but significant sidecut. The skis in this category are better than ever (e. g. Fisher S Bound Crown) but some folks don't even think they exist. I was wandering through the aisles of the main REI store (in Seattle), stopped off at the Nordic ski area and asked the guy which ski had the biggest sidecut and no metal edges. He basically said he didn't sell those. Fortunately, when I wandered the aisles at Second Ascent (in the Ballard neighborhood in Seattle) they had plenty of skis in this category. A lot of them were priced well (great beginning skis). Nice to know someone recognizes that their is a world between the two extremes of super skinny and gonzo wide. I would love to read more about skis like this, but since they don't fall easily into the two categories, they don't get much ink.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools