Topic

Maine & Pesky Black Flies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Maine & Pesky Black Flies

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Thinking about going up to southeastern Maine (not too far from the coast) in mid-June. What can I expect in terms of black flies, mossies, and other pesky biting insects? Will I miss the worst of it? Mike

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

You will probably be in Maine during the worst part of bug season that time of the month, wait a couple weeks if possible

Jebediah Stevens

@jebstevens84

Locale: New England

By "southeastern Maine," do you mean the downeast part of the state (i.e. east of, say, Ellsworth or Acadia)? There are a lot of boggy areas there, you will have bugs! A couple of weeks may not change matters much, it is often hard to avoid blackflies in Maine during the spring or early summer. With that said, bug populations tend to be highly variable- maybe you'll luck out!

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Jim & Jeb, thanks for your replies. Jeb, if I go I will be based in the Bristol-Pemaquid area. I will try to move the trip closer to July and hope for the best. Mike

Jebediah Stevens

@jebstevens84

Locale: New England

That's a really beautiful area, I spent a lot of time this past summer in the Maine Midcoast doing research. Good luck and have fun! BTW, what trail(s) are you doing?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools